Chapter Six: Noah's Shame

Chapter Six: Noah’s Shame

            Noah sat watching TV with his brother Ben. They were watching House. Ben was watching the show very intently. Noah sighed as he thought about his school day. Owen had gotten punched in the face and he’d met Declan, the last member in their PE group. They’d played a very intense game of volleyball, something that Noah was surprised he’d been able to escape without any wounds. He laughed as he remembered seeing Wyatt’s face as Declan had slapped the ball towards his face. On accident of course. But it was still funny. Ben turned to look at him and raised his eyebrow. Noah grinned.

            “I just remembered something funny,” Noah answered and Ben stared at him.

            “W-w-what was it?” Ben asked.

            “Some bully got hit in the face with a ball,” Noah said. Ben frowned.

            “Bully f-f-fight you?”  He asked and Noah felt himself thinking about once again how special his brother was. His parents thought he was mentally retarded but he wasn’t. There he was worrying about Noah.

            “No, the bully hasn’t done anything to me. He’s not my bully,” Noah said as he thought about Owen, Declan and Aiden.

            “G-g-good,” his brother stuttered. His brother used to stutter more, but now he only stuttered when he was nervous. And he was always nervous on days when both their parents had the day off. And Monday was their unlucky day this week.

            “I know,” Noah answered and hugged his brother’s shoulders. Just then the door to Ben’s bedroom opened and Noah felt his brother jump a little. And he knew it was in fear, and that only made Noah feel anger towards his parents.

            His mother came into the room wearing a fancy dress. Probably something she’d bought to wear around town so everyone would know just what kind of a lady Dr. Caus was. His father came in behind her wearing a suit. Same thing as his mother he figured. Noah didn’t know anyone more stuck up than his parents.

            “I see you’re both here,” his mother said and smiled sweetly.

            “You guys hungry?” his dad asked and he turned and saw Ben nod.

            “Good sweetie! Because Nana and the other staff have made us a lovely dinner, meatloaf! And I want us all to have dinner together like a family. The move to this town has always been something that your father and I wanted to do and we want everything to change, and start anew. We are a family. And I think it’s time we acted like it don’t you think?” she asked sweetly. Noah frowned. He had no idea why they were being all happy.

            “Did you guys get a raise?” he asked, he knew his parents were greedy. His dad stopped smiling and took a deep breath.

            “No, we just want a dinner as a family,” he answered.

            “Even Ben?” Noah asked.

            “Even Ben,” his mother agreed and beamed at her two sons.

            “Be downstairs in ten minutes,” his father said and started walking towards the door.

            “And wash your hands!” his mother chimed as she went out the door.

            “Better get this over with,” Noah said as he stood up and stretched. His stomach growled. “Come on Ben,” He said as he held out his hand and his brother took it. He helped his brother down the stairs and into the dining room. Nana smiled warmly at both of them and gave them a quick peck on the cheek. They all sat down and Nana went back into the kitchen. His mother didn’t allow “the help” to sit with them.