17. Anyway

A/N: i guess since i'd had this idea for so long, that's why writing it's going so quickly? haha idk but HERE'S ANOTHER CHAPTER

----

My Mom and Leo's Mom decided together that we needed to see each other in person, so that's how Leo and I ended up sitting on the couch, a large gap between us, in an awkward silence.

When I was told I had to see him, I almost screamed. It didn't help I had been in a terrible mood all the time lately, and talking to someone for more than two or three words turned me into crazy hormonal angry and mean pregnant monster.

Over the phone, all we ever really texted about was baby stuff, like when I had appointments, how things were going. It was all we could think to talk about anymore, even though that topic was a weird one for us too.

I shifted uncomfortably in place as I received a harsh kick to my rib from Rome, as if to say, 'talk to my fucking Dad, what the fuck'.

I put a hand on my stomach and moved it back and forth like, I'm sorry.

Rome and I had built a good relationship, though I still thought she'd get along better with Leo. When she finally got out into the real world, they'd instantly click.

"Do you wanna see the nursery now?" I asked him out of the blue, turning to look at him for the first time in about five minutes.

His eyes widened, and it's possible my voice sounded harsher than I intended it to, just because I was always annoyed—I might have scared him. I really didn't care. I wanted to go to sleep. I also wanted to be skinny. I also was hungry.

He nodded. "Sure," he answered, smiling tightly.

"'Kay, come on," I mumbled.

I stood up slowly and started toward the stairs, Leo following.

In the pink-pink-pink room, he looked incredibly uneasy, and looked around it like he hadn't ever seen anything so girly in his life. He didn't have a sister or anything, and I don't think any girl he'd ever known was the type to wear too many dresses.

"It's pink," he observed.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, Leo, she's a girl. I told you that."

"Oh, I know," he said, sounding surprised by the edge in my voice, as he didn't deal with edges well. "I like it."

"Whatever," I brushed it off, waving a hand.

He pressed his lips together tightly as he tried to maintain his usual calm nature, then turned his back to me, looking in the crib.

"I like this," he said, reaching down and picking up the llama by its head.

"Yeah, Luke gave that to me—or, to her," I told him about the gift my ex-boyfriend had brought me, a month ago now.

"Luke was here?"

I shrugged. "Yeah? So?"

"Nothing. I just didn't know you two were seeing each other."

"We're not."

"No, I didn't mean seeing each other, seeing each other, I just meant—"