Knives Hurt

[Lucas' POV]

We've been sitting in the waiting room for about 1 hour. Everyone's either to scared to talk or too upset to talk.

"Hello. May we talk to Mr. Friar." I stand up and walk to the front desk. "Maya's foster mother doesn't want the Matthews to worry and she thinks you should know about the news first."

"Ok... So how is she doing?" I ask impatiently.

"She is resting right now. It'll take 3-4 weeks or so for her to fully heal. If you would like you could take her out in a week and have her heal at home for the rest of the month."

"You do understand that I am not a family relative of hers? Right?" I ask.

"Yes we know but Maya's mother has spoken to your parents and she will be staying at your place." He explained "because your summer vacation will start in a week, you can take care of her."

"Ok." Don't get me wrong I'd love to take care of her. But whenever I look at her I know that it was my fault. If I never went out to see Riley this never would've happened. Or if I never came here from Texas her life would've been much better.

"Her room number is #453 on level 4."

I walked to her room not telling anyone about what happened. My only goal was to find her. To tell her I was sorry.

"Hey." I said while walking in her door.

"Hey." She replied. "What am I doing here. I thought I died."

"No don't say that." I pleaded. "I'm sorry for everything I did Riley means nothing to me!"

"It's alright. I forgive you." I smiled.

"So the nurse at the front desk told me I would be taking care of you over the summer. Also, your apparently staying at my place."

"Yeah. I know. My mom told me about it." I started at her. "Please stop staring. It's making me feel weak." I couldn't stop staring at her. Even though she was surrounded in tubes and machines, and she was covered with bandaids and only in a hospital gown, she looked gorgeous.

"Awwww thank you! But seriously stop staring." I said that out loud.

"Yeah you did."

"Oh." I really need to stop doing that.

"Yeah you do."

"Wow." I said in disappointment "I can't control my mouth." She giggled. "Can you tell be what happened?" Her smile faded. "If you want to. You don't have to."

"It's ok I'll tell you."

[Flashback]

[Maya's POV]

As I ran into the house I heard a crash. I knew it was a beer bottle. And I knew Jake is the one who threw it.

"Hey you little bitch get over here." He had a knife in his hand and he kicked me outside.

"W-what are you going to do to me?" I asked as I stuttered.

"I'm going to do what I should've done a long time ago."

"And that is..." I said as we entered the dark alley beside our house.

"Are you sassing me?!" He yelled.