"Few of my guys are taking care of some shit and Gemma is with Abel." Closely watching for some sort of reaction, Jax trickled a few more details into the conversation. "She's not going to be around much."

"No?" Nero seemed intrigued but not exactly upset. "I guess you'll enjoy that freedom," he smirked. Nero wasn't being spiteful or petty but the urge to take jabs was there and he gave into it.

"I'm not the one who has to worry about freedom," Jax sipped his drink. "She's got Clay on a pretty tight leash."

"Speaking of leashes," he gestured to Julia and Ryan, "He's got one on her." They both noticed how she smiled at him, the attraction was obvious, but neither knew she was missing Jax so desperately.

"Julia doesn't strike me as the type," Jax remarked. "She's too smart."

"I can't say I agree," Nero said ominously. "If she was smart she wouldn't be involved with you."

Jax tensed, his facade fading, and he placed his drink on the table. "I don't know why you're so worried about my dick."

"I'm not," he shrugged. "I'm in the business though. I like to bring people together, I'm all about the love but this is no good. I can see how badly this will end."

"You're a pimp, no matter what bullshit you peddle to make yourself feel better." Jax leaned in close. "I know what you're doing with my mom and I know what you're trying to do here. Stay away from my family and keep my name, and my girl's name, out of your mouth."

Nero stepped back. "Mano, I'm trying to keep the peace for everybody."

"No, you're not," he sneered.

"Hey." Julia saw the altercation and flitted across the room. It wasn't a big show but she knew both men well enough to see their heightened emotional states. "Guys, settle down. You don't want to ruin my party do you?"

Nero was first to back away, more in control of his rage than Jax had ever been, but with a few soothing words from Julia he soon followed suit.

"You don't know anything," Nero said quietly. "Neither of you have any idea what you're involved in, the danger you could stir up for all of us."

"I know everything I need to know, Nero," Jax seethed. "You're sneaking around with Gemma, you don't think that'll set Clay off? YOU don't know the shit you're mixing into, mano."

"Jax," Julia gripped his upper arm. "Relax. There's nothing to get upset about, it's all a rumor. Remember?"

"No one buys that," Nero warned.

"Get out of my face," Jax growled. "Now."

Julia looked at Nero, begging him silently with her eyes, and he backed away slowly. She finally exhaled a shaky breath and turned back to Jax. "Hey, it's just an abundance of caution, baby," she cooed. "Charlie doesn't know."

"He suspects," Jax whispered. "Why do you think that firefighter asshole is here?"

"I know why," she laughed. "He's been trying to make that happen for ages. We dated for about six months but he's too," she paused, "He's a guy like my dad, that cop, firefighter type, and he's clean."

"But he's cool with Charlie?" Jax asked, still angry but trying, for Julia, to settle himself.

"Yeah," she laughed. "Not saying he hasn't taken some money here and there to keep quiet about some stuff but it's not like I could go to him after Clemons and shit."

"I get it," he leaned in and whispered, "You look amazing."

She giggled, her cheeks flushing to match her dress, and thanked him. "You look good too, even if you didn't class it up at all."