Chapter 3

"Hello," he purred 

"What are you doing here?"

"You left dinner so early, I came to see why."

Since when does he care?! I gave him my best sleepy smile and said "I was tired,"

His eyes traveled down my body and I wanted to scowl but kept my face in a smiling, obedient mask. His gaze landed on the piece of paper still lying on my knee, then to the pen in my hand. His eyes widened.

"You can write?!" I almost chocked. How could he have not noticed when I usually sit around in the library practicing my writing or have a cup of tea while I read a book. 

"Yes, Tamlin, I can write and have been writing for a while now." the words came out a bit sharper than I intended them to be. He noticed the bite in my words.

"I just..." he sighed and came towards me, carefully picking me up and setting me on his lap. It took a lot of effort not to jump off him and slap him in the face. I didn't make eye contact with him, but he gently took my chin in his calloused hand and turned my head to face him. "Is this why you've been so distant lately?" So he did notice, damn it! "It's just," he began "I know I promised to change for the better, but there is only so much I can do. Being a High Lord has it's obligations, and it takes up a lot of my time, it doesn't leave any time for us. And I am very sorry if I sometimes don't notice some things. But we can start over, right now." He let go of my chin, only to put his arms around my waist. "Tell me...Tell me how you learned to write." 

I didn't know what to say. I didn't feel right to strait up tell him that Rhys was the one who taught me to read and write. So instead I said "I taught myself. I uh, I spend a lot of my time in the library. I knew my alphabet, so I just needed practice."

He studied me a bit before pressing his lips to mine. God all I wanted to do was grow fangs and rip out his throat, but instead I kissed him back. His tongue swept in my mouth, and I felt like a liar, a traitor to my mate even if I had to play this role as I opened my mouth to him and let our tongues have a war battle. He positioned my arms around his neck and my legs around his torso as he stood up and lay me on the bed. 

With only my sheer nightgown and his own clothes separating our skin... I did not like where this was going.