19 | one last wish

Start from the beginning

Hansol looked back at Jihoon. His eyes darkened and through clenched teeth he said, "No, we didn't fight–"

"That's a lie." I scoffed, cutting him off. My face was starting to get all hot and red. It felt like a lump was starting to swell in my throat. I raked a hand through my hair and tried to even my breathing. "That's a fucking lie. You promised me– You fucking promised me you wouldn't lie to me anymore. You...you promised me–"

"I didn't promise you anything." He said, but his voice sounded different. It was all low and strangled. Stepping closer, Hansol lowered his voice to a whisper. "You thought I was being honest back there? Are you stupid or do you just blindly believe whatever anyone tells you?"

I froze. Immediately, my head darted up to meet his eyes. They say the eyes can tell you anything – that they're a window to the soul. When I searched Hansol's eyes, I didn't find an ounce of humor in them. His eyes were as hard as steel and as cold as ice. I shuddered involuntarily.

Hansol leaned in close, his mouth nearing my ear. "What? You didn't really believe I had feelings for you, right?" He let out a humorless chuckle. "God, you really are as dumb as they say you are."

I felt my heart sink. His words were like salt poured onto a fresh cut, each one stung worse than the last. But what bothered me more than the fact that he knew exactly what to say to hurt me was the fact that he had to say them now of all times. Why now? Why of all times did he have to say all of this now?

I shifted my gaze up to meet his and scoffed. "Is this really necessary?" I spat. Hansol's eyebrows raised the slightest at my sudden outburst. He opened his mouth to say more but I quickly cut him off. "It's not enough that Hyemi has to remind me everyday just how unworthy I am to even be standing in the same room as her, but now you have the audacity to stand here and tell me that I'm an idiot? That I'm dumb? Did it not occur to you that maybe Hyemi's constant abuse might've already made that clear? I'm already extremely aware of where I stand on this stupid social ladder you all obsess over like it's all that matters in this goddamn world. I know what everyone thinks of me and what they say about me behind my back. But I never knew that you felt the same.
I thought that maybe you had a bit more class. But apparently that was all just a fucking lie, right?" I choked out a laugh – it came out a sob. "What do you want, Hansol? Just what the hell do you want from me?" I shut my eyes briefly and remembered when Hansol first told me he liked me.

When I opened my eyes, he was still as cold as ever.

"I don't love you." Hansol said finally. "And I never have."

I sucked in a sharp breath of air that left my fingers trembling. "Are you still lying to me?" I asked. I bit my lip to keep it from trembling.

"I'm not lying to you."

My hand whipped across his cheek. The thundering crack of the impact echoed throughout the room, stunning the crowd into silence. I saw Wonwoo and Jihoon start to move, concern etched in both of their faces but Hansol was quicker.

As he recollected himself from the impact my hand rose again to slap him, but Hansol was not one to fall victim to the same trick twice. He saw my hand just as it was about to strike down and in the last second, his hand shot up and grabbed ahold of my wrist effectively stopping it mere inches away from his face.

"Let go of me." I hissed angrily but the rage was only front I could keep up for so long. I felt like I had just been gutted and Hansol was still holding the knife. There was only so much I could take. I could feel myself reaching that threshold now. "Please," I begged. "I'm not going to slap you again, I promise." Hansol shifted with uncertainty but soon released me the second a tear slipped out.