18 | second thoughts

Zacznij od początku

He glanced over at me with a raised eyebrow. "What are you doing?"

"Making sure you're not a hallucination." I reach to poke again. He turns, catching my finger in his fist like my mom used to do when I was little only Wonwoo pulls me into a hug. He wraps his arm around me, shocking me into silence.

"Still think I'm a hallucination?"

I shake my head, wide-eyed. Abort mission. ABORT!

After paying - which Wonwoo refused to let me do, by the way - he pulled me over to an empty table, his arm still wrapped around me. For a second, I thought he was going to keep his arm wrapped around me the entire time, but he lets me go so we can sit down.

I break the silence. "Wonwoo. What are you doing here?"

"I wanted hot chocolate." He said lamely.

A frustrated noise leaves my throat. Sometimes, I just want to bash his head into a wall. "I meant, what are you doing here-here? At the airport." I say, motioning to the Starbucks we were in.

He leans forward, gaze hard. "Isn't that what I should be asking you? I heard my mom suspended you." He said. "You do realize that getting suspended doesn't mean you have to leave the country." I wince at the anger laced in his voice. Of course it's about that. He goes on, looking baffled: "I mean, what did she do? I understand my mom can be a bit of a bitch sometimes, okay maybe a lot of times, but it couldn't have been..." He pauses, realization dawning on his face. "Wait, this is about Hansol, isn't it? Jesus Christ, did he hurt you? I swear if he hurt you–"

"Shut up, Wonwoo." I said, cutting him off. "He didn't hurt me...well at least it wasn't just him." I muttered. I rake a hand through my tangled hair and sigh, shutting my eyes momentarily. In that moment, it all comes rushing back: the fight with Jihoon, Jisoo and Jeonghan's breakup, the other fight with Nana...

I felt my eyes sting and turn, wiping them with my sleeves. When did I turn into such a crybaby. God, and why again in front of Wonwoo of all people?

Thankfully, before it got to a point of no return, Wonwoo turned away from me, shielding his eyes. "I think they called your name...I'll go get our drinks." He said, pushing himself up from the table to go get them. I sniffled, wiping my eyes and taking several deep breaths. When I glanced up, I was surprised to see him still standing there. The instant we made eye contact, he turned away, looking embarrassed. God, I'm pathetic, I thought as I lowered my gaze.

But then while I'm sitting there, my eyes all puffy and red from crying, I feel Wonwoo's fingers graze my ear and then grey wool slips over my eyes. My hands reach blindly for my face so I can try and remove the beanie. His hands fall down over mine and quickly grab them, setting them back on the table. I hear him take a few steps back and then I feel his hand patting my head. My cheeks flushed with heat at the gesture.

"I wasn't crying." I said, leaning away from his touch. His hand retracts.

"I know. I just thought your ears were cold." He replied, giving me one final tap on the forehead that sent my heart racing. What a liar, I thought as I reached up to push the beanie up so I could see. I could tell that he was lying because his neck got all red and splotchy, all the way up to the tip of his ears.

He returned in a bit, sliding my drink over to me along with a couple napkins. I brought my lips to the cup and took a small sip...only to immediately set it back on the table, my face puckering. Wonwoo didn't even say a word. He just reached over and swapped our drinks, exchanging the bitter coffee with his diabetes-inducing sugar drink. But despite my initial skepticism, everything changed with that second sip. Chocolate was the greatest medicine ever invented.