Nightmares, Ravines, and Trolls Oh My (Part 1)

I just want to say sorry to everyone who's been reading my story and waiting for me to update. Though I have no clue how many really like my story since most of the readers are silent readers (hint hint).

Though it's no true excuse I've been really busy with school and haven't had  any time to write. This isn't super long but I wanted to at least put something up. This unfortunately isn't the best writing job but I wrote this in little snippets over time. Enjoy and hopefully you like it.

P.S. I'm supposed to have time in my creative writing class soon to write more of this if my teacher hasn't been lying to me.

"Okay! Why isn't your voice tired yet?! You've been singing for the past 5 miles!"

Cameron just flashes me a grin, "It's just so much fun that I can't stop."

I frown, "You mean that you like to annoy me." The only answer I get is a stupid smirk.

(I bet that he's so smug about annoying me but he will learn that no one annoys me. And if they do they regret it. Dum. Dum. Dum...)

"I'm gonna warn you now, no one annoys me because they sure as hell don't like what happens when they do."

I can see he only looks mildly scared, so I lean in close to his ear, "I could tell you a thousand stories of what has happened to people who have crossed me, and believe me you wouldn't like any of them."

I see him gulp and he falls silent. I close my eyes and breathe in through my nose, peace and quiet. Now I can travel the way I like, with no infuriating boys ruining my trip and forcing me to take them with me for longer than I planned.

I mean of course I understand that he still is here but that doesn't affect me when he's quiet.

I look to the sky, the light is fading and it's about time to camp for the night. I'd hoped to go farther but that silly boy makes the going slow.

"We're 'bout to stop. We've barely made it less than a quarter of the way but we've gotta stop while we can still see."

Cameron just nods and I can tell that he's too nervous to speak now. I slyly grin, "I can tell that you're nervous already," I pause dramatically, "so you better learn to get some guts before morning, cause it's only gonna get worse from here." I wait anxiously for a look of horror to cross over his face.

(He really deserves to feel fear after causing me so much trouble and making to where I can't ever go back to that bar.) 

Instead a look of determination turns his face into a scowling mess, "I'll be fine."

I merely raise an eyebrow and go back to searching for a good place to camp for the night. All I see are trees, trees, rocks, stickers, and more trees. Finally through a break in the tree cover I spot a small clearing just big enough for two people to camp comfortably.

Wordlessly I turn my horse to the clearing, not caring if Cameron notices or not. I dismount and let my feet thump down in the soft grass with barely a stone in sight; this will be a good place to sleep.

"Wow. How did you find this in all the trees?"

I groan silently to myself and don't bother answering.

"Scarlet?"

I close my eyes for a second, trying to control my temper.

"Go collect some firewood so we can cook some food."

I wait for him to leave but he doesn't move; I begin to glare at him, not used to people not immediately following my orders. He starts, finally realizing what he's supposed to be doing, and quickly dismounts before running off into the trees.

I groan at his stupidity, he didn't tie his horse's reins to anything; the horse could just run off. With resignation I grab the reins and tie them to the same branch as my own horse.

I unsling my bow from where I had placed it on the horse a few minutes into our ride and go a short distance into the forest while keeping the clearing, and our horses, in sight.

I close my eyes and perk up my ears, listening for the slightest sound of game moving in the woods. Suddenly there's a crackle in the bushes and I spin around with an arrow poised to shoot as a flock of quail burst into the air.

Twang. I loose my arrow and shoot another right after. Keeping my eyes peeled to the sky I watch as two fat birds just right for dinner fall to the ground. I let myself have the slightest grin before walking into the bushes to retrieve the fowl.

When I return to camp I find that the boy actually managed to light a fire, a very merrily burning fire. With resigned breath I toss the birds at him with the order to pluck them as I trim and prepare a spit from a branch.

By the time both tasks are completed I can see the sun slipping from the horizon. As the birds cook on the spit I lie out bedding for the night and throw a set to Cameron as well.

(I don't care what you people might think, I'm not completely heartless to the needs of other people.)

I sniff the air and smell the beautiful aroma of freshly cook fowl. I grab my knife from my belt and grin as I hear a small quick intake of air as in the anticipation of fear coming from the boy's side.

"I'm gonna cut the meat. Do you want a whole bird?"

With a deep exhale of relief the boy quickly nods. Smiling to myself I cut the meat and set it on wiped off rocks near the fire. After filling our bellies Cameron and I wrap ourselves in blankets and curl up to go to sleep.

I sigh and let sleep take me to a world where I don't have to worry about taking care of annoying boys.

Ding Dong.

"Sweetie, can you get the door?"

A big grin lights up my face, "Of course mother, I'm a big girl now."

I run to the door and open it with the dramatic flourish of a young child. My eyes are blinded by sun glinting off of metal and everything comes in flashes.

Singing metal, screaming, falling snow.

Falling to my knees I watch as scarlet covers the snow like a blanket.

Running, I have to keep running. Can't stop. Can't stop. Have to run.

My mouth opens wide in a scream...

"Scarlet," a hand is shaking me, "Scarlet please wake up! You're having some kind of nightmare!"

Shakily I open my eyes to see Cameron's face ringed by the golden glow of dawn. Shaking my head to rid myself of the last traces of the dream I sit up and stare at the sun slowly rising in the sky.

I rebuild my walls and harden my voice, "It's dawn. Time to begin traveling again."

I really hope you liked it so pretty please vote and commment!!!