Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A Happy Ending? Hopefully.

John was already standing at the door when Sherlock stepped out of the taxi, having paid the driver. He glanced over the shorter man. A scrutinising look. He had walked. That much was obvious. Even though he had that terrible limp... Strange. Maybe he didn't have enough money to pay for the taxi? Probably. After all he was obviously living on an army pension at the moment.

"Hello," Sherlock said in a reasonably friendly manner as he got out.

"Ah, Mr Holmes." John seemed to be leaning quite heavily on his stick. Sherlock arched an eyebrow slightly.

"Sherlock, please." Sherlock shook his hand as he approached the door. It was black, golden letters on its front proclaiming '221B.'

"Well this is a prime spot. Must be expensive."

"I know Mrs Hudson, the landlady. She's given me a special deal. Owes me a favour. Few years back her husband got himself sentenced to death in Florida. I was able to help her out."

"So you stopped her husband being executed?"

"Oh no, I ensured it." Just then the door opened, revealing Mrs Hudson.

"Sherlock," she smiled as Sherlock moved in to give her a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Mrs Hudson, Dr John Watson," Sherlock introduced them with a smile.

"Hello, come in," Mrs Hudson indicated for them to come in.

"Hello, thank you," John replied reasonably quietly, moving into the house. Sherlock ran up the stairs ahead of John, waiting at the top as he heard the distinctive tap of John's cane hitting the ground. He opened the door rather dramatically when John reached the top of the stairs and stepped in. Watching John carefully to gauge his reaction.

"Well this could be very nice," John eventually announced after looking around the room. "Very nice indeed."

"Yes. Yes I think so. My thoughts precisely. As soon as we get you moved in."

"As soon as we get all this rubbish cleaned up." Sherlock frowned as they spoke the last sentences together. He hadn't thought it was in that bad a state. He had already moved in and it wasn't exactly the tidiest... But it wasn't rubbish. Not really. They stared at each other for a few moments before Sherlock moved and began to pick stuff up.

"So this is the-"

"Well obviously I can straighten things up a bit," Sherlock interrupted him as he continued to move things rather randomly. It didn't really make what John appeared to think was a mess any better.

"That's a skull." John pointed to Sherlock's skull with a cane. Pointing out the obvious. How Sherlock hated when people pointed out the obvious. But he would let it slide. This time.

"Friend of my," Sherlock replied instantly, stuffing his hands into his coat pockets and watching John. "When I say friend..."

"What do you think then, Doctor Watson?" It seemed that Mrs Hudson had come into the room. "There's another bedroom upstairs if you be needing two bedrooms." Sherlock smirked ever so slightly as he pulled off his black trench coat and blue scarf.

"Well of course we'll be needing two," John looked completely and utterly bewildered. Sherlock tried not to laugh just a little at that expression. Although, he guessed it was a natural one. To be confused at a statement like Mrs Hudson's.

"Oh don't worry, there's all sorts round here," Mrs Hudson instantly replied. "Mrs Turner next door's got married once." Her voice lowered to a whisper at the last part as she headed towards the kitchen. "Sherlock! The mess you've made." Sherlock looked up from what he was doing. He didn't respond.