Chapter Sixty-Five ۞ Camp (pt. 2)

Start from the beginning

"Holy crap! Cifaro! What have you done?"

'A distraction. Since these lions seemed irritated at the sight of any light and warmth, I figured it'd be good.'

"How am I gonna—"

One of the lions flew straight for Amora, colliding with the dragon's stomach and pushing her off. Valeriana tightened her grip around the reigns and felt the impact, gritting her teeth when she almost fell off. Her heartrate skyrocketed and she immediately steered Amora to move. However, one after another came the attacks. They were immediately pushed back, coercing Amora to faceplant on the hard ground. Valeriana came tumbling out of her back, rolling on the dirt like chicken breast rolling on flour. She ended up leaps away from her dragon ride.

"I need backup here!" she yelled, forcing her weakened knees to support her weight as she stood. "Amora!"

The twin-tailed lions surrounded them, growling aggressively. Their wings were furled and spread menacingly, their fangs bared and their eyes wrinkled with rage.

Before Valeriana got to her dragon, a figure landed before her and stopped her advance. Glittering black eyes and shimmering black coat, wings were unfurled and narrow-edged teeth bared. Valeriana instantly recognized this beast.

Avaro.

'It will be unstoppable. No matter how hard thou tryest, thy efforts will be in vain. It has begun to spread.'

"Why are you doing this?"

'No being is pure except a newborn.' Avaro advanced with grace, his dark eyes glinting. 'Thou canst not deny it. No matter how good thy heart, it will always contain a sliver of darkness. Light and darkness, good and bad, black and white.'

"What? You're not making any sense!"

'How does thou planst on conquering us demons?' he asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about!"

'Eradicate us? Evil cannot be eradicated. It forever lies in the hearts of men. No matter what thou doest, it will always awaken. One way. Or another.'

"That sounded familiar," she murmured. "I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha one way . . ." she unconsciously sung.

Flames alighted the ground, making Valeriana jump and shriek. Fire repelled the beasts and forced them to back off. Consequently, Vallore descended from the sky. He landed beside Valeriana, the hood fluttering around him.

'Your aura is extraordinary. Who are thou?' Asked Avaro.

Valeriana deepened her voice and muttered, "Your worst nightmare."

Vallore shot her a look of confusion before taking over. Valeriana had to learn to become serious, but, for some reason, there were just a lot of things happening that made her think back on several occurrences from her other world. She grinned up at the man and flashed a peace sign.

"My name is Vallore," he introduced. "I am a drakon and the keeper of flames. In the name of Arland, I implore you to stand down."

'A drakon?' the beast mused. 'I have not seen one in centuries. Thy kind was too busy nurturing the dragons that thou hast forgotten the other creatures of fire. Thou hast no right to command me.'

"I am still of Arland's bloodline. I have the right. We have left you alone because you proved to be capable of fending for yourselves. The dragons were not."

"Arland's bloodline?" she echoed, brows furrowing as she gazed up at Vallore.

'How impudent!' exclaimed the lion.