I gave the pair a friendly smile, keeping my hand planted firmly on the rail as I turned to them. I wasn't about to risk a slip down the stairs and into the cold snow, "Hello, sorry to bother you so early in the morning. My name is Lucinda Cartwright. I was told to come here by a Casey Jones to pick up the keys to the house I bought..." He stared at me, looking like he had no idea what I was talking about, "Uh, it's the old Victorian near the lake..." I rambled hoping he would somehow understand.

"You mean, The old Wolfe residence? My wife probably told me something about that last night at dinner. Went in one ear and right out the other like most things she tells me..." He mumbled to himself, " Well, Casey's right inside, cooking breakfast for everyone." He reached up and scratched at his beard, "Not from around here, I suppose?"

"That obvious?" I say with a small nervous laugh.

He tilted his head to the side, "Ain't nobody around here wearing boots as fancy as those ones." He motioned his shovel towards my feet. I glanced down at my stilettoed, knee-high boots.

I lifted my face back up with a sheepish grin, cheeks flamed with my own embarrassment. He only smiled, "Mac why don't you show the kind lady inside. She looks about ready to frost over."

Mac's expression turned brighter, probably because he was getting to go back inside. He charged up the stairs towards me, taking them two at a time, "I'll take you in." I tried to reign in the awkward feeling in my stomach, I was terrible with children. I had no idea how to speak or act around them, so I simply nodded my head.

"When you're done, you head on back out here. This driveway ain't shoveling itself." Mr. Jones called to Mac. I watched the moment of merriment disappear from his face, shoulder slumping forwards. I chewed the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing. I looked back to the truck to see Mary-Beth watching from the passenger seat, I wondered if I should leave her be or have her come in with me. I felt uncomfortable with the idea of leaving her in the car in the cold even with the heat running.

Mac must have noticed my distracted gaze because he turned around and looked at the truck, "You got someone else with you?"

I peered down at him, "My sister, Mary-Beth."

He whistled low, before looking up at me, "Is she pretty?"

I felt my lips twitch upward at his question, "I think so, but you're a little young for her."

He gave me a disgusted look, sticking out his tongue a bit, "Not for me, for My brother Graham. He's a big flirt. Or that's what my moms says. She caught him kissing on Meredith Green behind the bleachers during my sister's lacrosse game. She said she's going to have to chain him up like a dog." I tongued my cheek, doing my best to hold back my laughter. This kid didn't seem to care that I was a complete stranger.

"Thanks for the warning." I replied, "I'll make sure to keep Mary Beth at a safe distance."

He turned around and started walking, "You might want to keep yourself at a safe distance." He mumbled as he pushed the front door open. I wobbled my way to him like a baby learning to walk. Note to self, buy a new pair of boots on my way through town.

The warmth of the house almost had me sighing with relief. It was cozy, a big red couch set up to my left with a young curly haired girl coloring on a piece of paper. Across the room was an open kitchen with a round woman working over a stove, a baby hoisted on her hip.

The young girl glanced in our direction as we came deeper into the room. Her eyes were big, brown and full of mischief. She looked me over slowly, tilting her head back, "You're so tall. Are you giant?" She asked curiously.