CHAPTER NINE: Hypocrisy (part 3)

Start from the beginning

'Enough, Clara,' Van Bam said. 'I think your point has been well made.'

She seemed reluctant as she moved away.

Samuel grabbed Hemlock by the collar and hoisted him up into the chair at Hamir's desk. The smirk on his old features suggested he approved of Clara's actions as much as Gideon did.

'Prepare yourself, Charlie,' Samuel said, clamping both hands down on Hemlock's shoulders. 'It only gets worse from here.'

By this time, Hamir, aloof and silent, had made his way to the back of his laboratory, where he stood watching Hemlock. The necromancer's colours remained impassive to Van Bam's vision, but the lights of his eyes were darkening.

Holding Hemlock down, Samuel wheeled the chair towards Hamir. Hemlock's eyes were wide with pain and fear. Beside Hamir was a tall object, covered with a silk sheet. The necromancer pulled the sheet away, and there stood an obscene mannequin. The body and limbs were a wire frame of thin metal, but upon its neck was fixed a head of flesh, the head of Fat Jacob, the owner of the Lazy House.

Hemlock emitted a choking sound. 'Oh, Timewatcher! What is this?'

Atop the mannequin body, Jacob's milky eyes snapped open, and his expression was furious. 'Hemlock, you shit!' he screamed, his voice distorted and gurgling.

Hemlock squeezed his eyes shut.

'You said no one would know. You said it was easy business – just one of my whores. You bastard! You liar!'

Van Bam nodded to Hamir, and instantly he silenced the whorehouse owner. Fat Jacob's eyes closed and his features dropped as if dead. Hamir did not cover him with the sheet again.

'Your business associate, Charlie,' said Samuel. 'You should be more careful who you get involved with.'

'I didn't do anything,' Hemlock shouted. He struggled in vain against Samuel's grip. 'You've got the wrong man!'

'Indeed,' Van Bam said. He moved to stand between the captive and Hamir's handiwork. 'Charlie, this is what I know for a fact. You were recently employed by Fabian Moor, and thus far you have performed questionable deeds in his name.'

Hemlock shook his head feverishly. 'Moor double-crossed me. I want nothing to do with him.'

'Too late,' Van Bam said. 'You know as well as we who and what Fabian Moor is, and you will tell us now where he has taken Marney.'

'And, Charlie,' Samuel added, 'if you lie, he'll know.'

'Lie?' Hemlock looked up at Samuel, and then at the Resident. 'You think I'd protect Moor after he left me high and dry? I don't care why you want him, but I hope it's as bad as it gets.'

'So start talking,' said Clara.

Hemlock's eyes flitted to the grisly sight of Fat Jacob's head atop the mannequin's wire body and he licked his lips. 'It's not that simple.'

He's stalling, Gideon said to Van Bam. He sounded almost bored. He knows that information is the only thing keeping him alive.

'Look,' Hemlock continued. 'Moor said a lot of things. He told me who you are – the Relic Guild, right? He said he could make Labrys Town a better place, only you want to prevent it.' His expression flashed the perfect degree of helplessness. 'He said that you're the real enemy.'

Clara scoffed. 'So you just went along with him, for a pocketful of money, no questions asked.'

'Oh, I know what you're thinking,' Hemlock said earnestly, 'typical me, right? But, for the first time in my life, Moor gave me something to hope for. He said he could reopen the doorways in the Great Labyrinth. He said we could see the Aelfir again.'