X

"How tragic." The mermaid pouted. "Coming all this way to die for a cure that won't even work."

"What do you mean?" Peter asked.

The other mermaids slowly closed in around the island, completely surrounding us.

"Your friend can answer that." She said nodding towards Knit.

Her calculating eyes seemed to study Peter and her red lips pulled into an unsettling smile. "The fate of Revenland rest in your young hands."

"What do you-"

"I know your real name, Peter."

She began to retreat slowly back into the water, but Peter rushed forward exclaiming, "Wait!"

"Don't get too close, lad! She'll try to drown you." Finnegan called out as he eyed the mermaids nervously.

Peter didn't listen and leaned closer to the mermaid. I watched nervously, his brow furrowed as he listened to what she had to say.
When she was finished she pulled away, I was the first to see fangs sprout from her teeth.

I quickly pulled Peter back from the waters as she reached out to grab his hand. Her nails tearing the skin of his arm as I pulled him back from her grasp.

The once beautiful faces of the mermaids around us turned sinister and they began to try to claw at our feet in attempt to pull us to our deaths

The once beautiful faces of the mermaids around us turned sinister and they began to try to claw at our feet in attempt to pull us to our deaths. The small island that we stood upon was slowly providing us less protection as they dragged their bodies onto the land.

I turned my gaze to Finnegan, knowing he was our only way out.

"I wish we could escape!" I screamed and Finnegan seemed to be happy to comply.
With a snap of his fingers, Peter and I started to rise from the ground, higher and higher until our backs hit the ceiling.

"We're flying!" Peter grinned, his eyes alight with wonder.

"Don't forget about us!" Knit yelled from the ground as he and Finnegan held out their hands.

Swooping down, quite clumsily might I add, we each grabbed Knit and Finnegan by the hand and flew out of the dark cave, leaving the screeching of the mermaids behind.

I didn't think that I could ever get use to the feeling of flying.

You feel almost invincible when looking down at the world below.

Knit was beaming ear-to-ear as the wind pushed back his hair, triumphantly yelling at the top of his lungs. Finnegan, on the other hand looked like he was about to kiss the ground once out feet touched the ground. He laid on the ground holding his stomach after handed me the empty vial that was clutched in his small hand.

Peter looked at it curiously as it winked at him in the sunlight.

"What did the mermaid mean when she said the cure wouldn't work?" He asked Knit.

Knit looked reluctant to answer.

"What?" I asked him.

"Nothing."

"Knit, you're a terrible liar."

"You won't believe me." He said in a sing-song voice.

"Knit!" Peter and I pushed.

He sighed in defeat.

"If what i'm thinking is true, then you're not really sick."

"What do you suppose?" I asked.

"That Peter is half Fae."

Peter and I stared at him with doubtful expressions causing him to sigh and explain.

"I told you, you wouldn't believe me!" He exclaimed.

"What do you mean?" Peter asked, ignoring his outburst.

"Faeries cannot stay in the human world for long periods of time because it makes us sick and could kill us. You we're able to live in the human world, but because of your Fae blood, it slowly began to kill you."

"You're just guessing that on the fact that he felt different here in Revenland." Finnegan argued."It's normal for humans feel different."

"Did the mermaid damage your brain?" Knit asked, "That iron shouldn't have burned him."

I thought back to the moment in the cave and looked up to Peter with wide eyes.

"That's true."