17 | the flightless prince

Start from the beginning

Obviously the guy was full of shit so I got my mom to convince my dad to reconsider. But if either of them find out about this then I'm almost positive I'll see Moon Joonyoung again.

Kwons are like birds, don't you think, Soonyoung? They weren't meant to be caged, they were meant to be released so they can flourish. So how about we revisit those pamphlets? I hear the acceptance rate for Harvard increases each year!

I shake my head, shoving all images of Moon Joonyoung out. God, I can just picture what he'd say in my head.

"Kwon Soonyoung, are you mocking me right now?" Miss Jung snaps and sends more spit flying. I've momentarily forgotten that I'm in the middle of getting lectured. By the sounds of it, she's acting as if I've committed murder. That's usually not a good sign.

I bow my head and at least hope that she doesn't get me expelled. "No, ma'am."

"Because this, what you've done to Jihoon, is not a laughing matter. The boy's been sent to the hospital."

"Of course."

"What."

Well I've fucked up. "I mean no, that's terrible. It's terrible that he's been sent to the hospital but, of course, what I've done is not a laughing matter. In fact, I should be punished for what I've done." I say hastily. "I think I deserve twenty - no, thirty infractions, Miss Jung. I really do. So, I think that I should go to my room right now and reflect on my actions." I turn to quickly leave.

"Now wait a moment, Soonyoung."

I curse, turning back to face her slowly, and watch as she crosses the room, her hands on her hips. She looks extra pissed today, like someone poured spoiled milk in her coffee instead of that gross vanilla creamer shit she drinks everyday. Either one of the first years actually did pour spoiled milk in her thermos or she's just PMSing hardcore. I'm guessing it's most likely the latter.

Jesus, she's looking at me again. She's always looking at me like I'm kid that needs to be handled. I'm working up a good sweat just by standing here under her scrutinizing gaze. It's obvious she's just waiting for me to crack, to confess to murder or something. Please, I didn't fucking murder Lee Jihoon. At most I probably gave him a black eye. But then again, maybe I didn't because the guy is built like a little tank. You know, one of the things they fail to teach you in class is that when punching a guy in the face, the hand involved hurts as much as the other person's facial region. But does Miss Jung give a shit? Has she ever been there wagging her finger at Jihoon any time he beat up some kid at school? No. The answer is no and no one is surprised.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you." She says icily.

I force myself to look up. A wave of rage crashes over me and I'm shaking. I'm shaking so bad I have to dig my nails into my arms to make it stop.

Miss Jung stares at me hard and says, "Stop denying it, Soonyoung." But then her face softens and her eyes gloss over with what looks like concern. "The sooner you confess, the sooner we can put all of this behind us. You can leave and go back to the dorms, okay? Just...please, if you feel any sympathy at all for Jihoon...or, or maybe me?" God, she sounds so desperate. "We can all leave and go back to living our lives if you just tell me how on earth you managed to land Jihoon in the hospital. But I cannot guarantee that you'll go off unscathed. Jihoon's parents have been called and I believe the Lees have no intention of letting this incident go- "

And then I say, "I didn't do it," while trying not to sound too filled with rage even though I want to take Miss Jung by the shoulders and shake her until she'll get it through her thick head that I'm not guilty of anything. How they saw Jihoon when he was taken to the hospital is not how I left him or even remember seeing him. When he was taken off to get treatment, his hands were all ripped up and bleeding, like raw meat almost.