Nightmares - Edition 2

Set in Lazarus Rising before the Winchesters plus Bobby visit the psychic (motel)

"Cas!" Dean yelled in his sleep. His eyes were closed, but on the undersides, his nightmare had etched itself to the hunter's eyelids. Upon hearing his brother's sound of distress, Sam had shot awake in the opposite twin bed. He shook his recently resurrected brother awake.

"Dean. Dean! Wake up. Are you okay?" The concern in the younger man's voice could hardly be missed as it echoed around the motel room.

"I'm fine Sammy," Dean said in that tone of his that made Sam want to punch him square in the jaw. He smirked and settled down into the warm cocoon of blankets; no way he was getting up at two in the morning over a dream.

"You sure?"

"Yes! Now go back to sleep."

"Do you remember any of it?"

"No!" A lie. "Go to sleep!"

"Who's Cas?"

"What?"

"You screamed 'Cas' and woke me up," Sam was clearly concerned.

"I don't know. Just go back to sleep and we'll deal with this later."

... Time Skip ...

Set post-Purgatory/ pre-Naomi (Bunker)

"CAS!" Dean screamed. He was covered in sweat and felt a rustling beside him.

"I'm here; don't worry," Cas whispered into Dean's ear, "What's the matter?"

"Nothing; just a nightmare."

"Didn't sound like 'just a nightmare', did it Cas?" Sam appeared in the doorway, "And will you two get a room?" Cas was standing over Dean, his angelic face only a few inches from Dean's.

Dean chucked the nearest pillow at his brother. "Shut up." Sam just laughed and threw the offending feather-filled object back at his brother.

"Whatever dude, I'm going back to bed."

"Good. Now leave. Bye." Dean dismissed the moose.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Castiel asked quietly.

"Yes," Dean said firmly, "maybe." He didn't seem as sure as he sounded. "Look, will you stay with me, just for a bit?" He added quietly, blushing furiously.

"I'm not going anywhere," the angel's response came with assuredness and without hesitation. Dean grabbed the Seraph's arms and pulled him down onto the bed.

Dean would never admit it - as it would tarnish his reputation as a manly badass - but he really really liked cuddling, specifically with Castiel. He pulled Cas under the thin blankets and curled into his side. Cas wrapped his trenchcoat-clad arms around Dean's waist and watched while he slept.

No more than an hour later, Dean was tossing and turning again. He was mumbling too. Cas didn't want to wake up Sam again, so after five minutes, he did the imponderable. He inched his face closer to Dean's and pressed his lips against the older Winchester's forehead. Instantly, Dean stilled and was silent. A few seconds later, he spoke again.

"You know," he said, "I wasn't asleep."

Cas smiled and whispered, "I know."