Nightmares - Edition 1

The bunker was very quiet that night. The generator hummed contently. Moose snored in his own room with soundproofed walls. Dean was sound asleep in his warm bed with that memory foam mattress. Castiel, being an angel, had no need for sleep, and instead stood watch at the foot of Dean Winchester's bed. He knew Dean despised it when Cas watched him while he slept, which made him smile a bit. The truth was, he liked watching over the eldest Winchester. He liked keeping him safe, even though Dean claimed it was "creepy". And so it was quiet in the bunker that night. Until it wasn't.

"Cas," Dean mumbled. Castiel froze. Had he been discovered? The angel did not relax until the pie-loving human mumbled something else- uninterpretable this time - and rolled over. Good; still asleep. However, Castiel would soon discover that Dean's state of unconsciousness was anything but. The once peaceful night was interrupted by a heart-wrenching cry of pain coming from the best naught but six feet in front of Castiel.

"Stop! No! Please stop!" Dean was yelling now, and the pain in his voice could not be masked. Then came the screaming. Just hearing those screams made one be able to imagine the blade slicing along their bare skin. They could feel the skin being peeled off of their bones, feel metal carving into the bone beneath the tender and bloody flesh. Castiel had not heard those screams since - oh no - Hell.

"Dean!" Sam Winchester thundered down the corridor to his other brother's bedroom. The door burst open and Sam saw Cas sitting on the edge of the bed, running his hands through Dean's hair rhythmically, calmly as he whispered what Moose assumed to be Enochian into the man's ear. Still yet, the screaming and yelling continued.

"Cas?! Cas?! Don't leave me!" Dean's words were panicked, choked up with tears and utter terror. He was thrashing about, grasping at the air, and at Cas' arm.

"I'm right here Dean. I'm not going anywhere," Cas repeated this and something else in Enochian. Dean fell silent. He was still shaking, but whatever Cas had said to him had done the trick. The nightmare was gone, and Dean stirred.

"Dude, are you okay?!" Sam asked, quite panicked, "You gave me a frickin' heart attack."

"Yeah, no, I'm fine Sammy boy. I'll be just fine. Just a nightmare. You can go back to sleep, we've got to leave first thing in the morning. Case in Merced, California," Sam frowned, but left. Dean turned to Castiel and his voice dropped to a whisper. "Would you leave me in Hell?"

"Of course not Dean, never," Cas cocked his head much like a puppy in confusion, "why do you ask?"

"What if I asked you to?"

"Then I would follow your example of stubbornness. I would tell you to - as you would put it - "stow your crap, shut your pie hole, and let me raise your sorry ass from perdition yet again." That response lured a smile and a light chuckle out of the elder Winchester.

"Why?"

"Because we're family. Because we need you. I need you. And you know what Dean?"

"What, Cas?"

"I love you, and I am not going to let you rot in Hell again." There was a very long silence. Perhaps an hour went by before any more words were spoken. Dean stared at the wall behind Cas. Cas stared at the floor. Suddenly, Dean drew in a sharp breath.

"You know what, Cas?"

"What, Dean?" Castiel was almost worried Dean was kicking him out of the bunker again - for good this time.

"I love you too Cas, and for what it's worth, I wouldn't let you rot in Hell either. In fact, if I thought Heaven was making you unhappy, I'd drag your sorry ass out of there too." That made both Cas and Dean chuckle.

"You should go back to sleep Dean, I'll keep the nightmares away."

"Okay Cas. BTW, creepy."