Chapter Forty Seven

Senea found her way to Magnar's room, arms crossed and frowning. He had her bag and his packed and ready. He glanced up at her while he cinched the bags shut and immediately turned back to his task. Senea turned and shut the door and made her way over to him. "What are you doing?" she asked calmly.

He glanced up at her once more, sighing as he stood up. "The storm is dying down. We need to leave now if we wish to make it to Tumia."

"You slept in today," Senea commented as she went to grasp his hands.

Magnar immediately filled his hands with the two bags and gave her a slight glare. "Actually, Zephir and I were both locked in our rooms by the order of Lord Braund's father."

Senea took a step back, jarred by him brushing her off and informing her of such news. "I didn't know," she whispered out.

"Apparently he didn't believe his own son's testimony from last night. When we made it downstairs, you and Lord Braund were already gone."

She grasped his wrists, holding him with her best efforts to stand still. "Magnar."

He turned and looked down at her, the anger in his face swelling. She released his wrists and began shaking her head. "I understand that you must show politeness, but after warning you I figured you'd stay away from him."

"What was I supposed to do? Tell him no?" Magnar scoffed and dropped the bags, crossing him arms then. "He allowed us under his roof. Your mother taught me that it was my responsibility to be a gracious and polite guest. Do you honestly think for a moment that I wanted to be alone with him?"

Magnar felt the anger leave his body and he grunted out a sigh. He had attempted all morning to rid himself of this jealous rage, but there he stood, yelling at the queen to be about being polite. He took a deep breath, and released it as he spoke, "No, I don't believe you wanted to be alone with him. I apologize for allowing my emotions –"

"Stop, Magnar. Just tell me what's wrong."

He looked down at her, seeing the compassion she always had on her face. "I was jealous," he muttered out.

"Of what? Him? I spent the morning in his study while he tried to show me books you've already shown me and helped me study. I then proceeded to hear how I wasn't conventionally pretty enough." Magnar opened his mouth to speak, but Senea continued. "He then went on to tell me that while I have lovely hair, my skin isn't nice enough."

"Your skin is plenty nice enough."

Senea rolled her eyes and glared at Magnar. "That's not the point. I've dealt with men trying to charm their way up my skirts for many harvests now. I can handle one lord who thinks he can be given everything."

Senea moved away from Magnar then, aiming for the door. She stopped once Magnar grasped her hand and tugged her back into his arms, holding her tight to him. "I'm sorry," he whispered into her hair, his fingers grasping the locks. She released a tremor of breath and cuddled close to him.

"You were right that he is manipulative. Perhaps as much as he is charming." She felt Magnar tense and couldn't suppress the smile that grew. "He offered me to stay here. Or if I ever felt unsafe -"

Magnar scoffed loudly. "You would be leaving one harsh world for another."

A loud knock interrupted their embrace, both of them taking a few steps away from the other. Magnar called out for them to enter and picking up the two bags. Allard walked in, the metal boots clanking against the stone floor. He had redressed in his armor and cloak, his face determined. "Zephir has informed me that you would be leaving. It's not wise, or safe. You won't make it to Tumia before night settles."

Magnar held his stance. "We have a schedule to keep and I assure you that we will make it there. I thank you for your hospitality."

Allard held up his hand. "Anything for Senea." He let out a small laugh and grin, his eyes directing over to her. "I mean Princess Senea, of course."

Senea could see the muscles on Magnar's back tense and tighten. Her words were quick. "Thank you, Lord Allard."

"If I may have a word in private, Commander Snowthorne?"

Senea gave him a smile, turning towards Magnar. "I'll meet up with Zephir." Once Magnar nodded and Senea had left the room, the guards outside shut the doors.

"What is it you want, Allard?" Magnar all but growled out.

"Her. Speak to your father to support me as her betrothed. I will offer all the forces I can spare as well as twice the amount of supplies we have been giving him."

Magnar couldn't help but laugh. "You're joking, right? We are practically in the middle of a war and you wish to offer some sort of bribe?"

Allard held his face still. "I'm not joking." Magnar scoffed and shifted the bags to one hand. "She'll be wedded off anyway and it would be better for the King's Army to benefit from it."

"What makes you think my father would be fine with a man who so easily hires women to lay in his bed? Or for that matter, a man who would so much as hurt a woman as you did?"

"Magnar, you know as well as I do that your father isn't shy of hiring –"

"Speak another ill word of my father and I assure you that they will have to send hounds to find your body parts for a proper funeral."

Allard furrowed his brow and raised his hand to his chin. "Is that a threat under my roof?"

"A promise."

"I could have you tried for that, Magnar." Magnar didn't move an inch and his face held the same hostile glare from before. "Lucky for you that Senea –"

"Queen Senea. Or Princess Senea. Or her grace. You have multiple options to use there."

Allard grinned then. "We had a lovely conversation in my study, actually. She's given me permission to use her name. We both share the distaste of titles." Magnar let out a grunt. "As I was saying, it is lucky for you that Senea is quite fond of you."

"Is that all, Lord Braund?" The way Magnar spoke the blond man's title was filled with venom.

Allard gave him a sly smirk, clearing the way for Magnar to leave. He followed Magnar down through the halls to outside to where Senea and Zephir stood waiting for the commander. Allard moved to Senea's side and pulled her away from the horse. "A gift, your grace. It is only proper."

Senea turned, confused as two guards who had been following Allard presented to her a thin, black leather cloak with a hood. The inside had been dyed crimson, much like Allard's. Along the trim was the softest black fur that Senea had ever felt. Allard moved his hands to undo Senea's cloak, eyeing Magnar as he did.

"This old thing needs to be cared for properly," he muttered as he handed it to the guards. "Trust it with me. We have some of the finest leather workers in all of Itod."

Senea felt the cloak that he had given her put on, his fingers moving to clasp it around her neck. Senea looked at Magnar helplessly, biting the inside of her lip at his reaction. Even Zephir was surprised at the brashness of Allard. "Allard, it's lovely, and thank you. But that cloak is a very special gift to me." She directed her hands towards the white one, the fur becoming wet from the drizzle.

Magnar felt his heart pound and his stomach roll. It was a flurry of rage and jealousy at how Allard had presented the gift to her. At the same time, he felt proud and honored at how Senea had thought of his sister's item.

"All the more reason for it to be mended. You trust me, of course?" He grasped her fingers then, his hands soft against hers.

She was torn. Senea nodded, gulping down her words. "Promise me that you'll care for it?" she managed to say.

It was then that Allard's face dropped from giddy and coy to serious and surprised. "Of course, Senea. It will be an honor to work on it."