Chapter Fifty One

They had made it to Tumia and Senea was astonished at the seaside city. It wasn't as large as Orriel or even Pryston, but it was far bigger than Freylake and it was perhaps far busier than all three cities combined. Senea tightened her grip on Rhodia's reins, pulling back as a person crossed in front of her, glaring up at her form. Zephir pulled just behind her, glancing ahead of her. "Go up this way. Almost to the docks and then we can find a ship and get out of here."

Magnar turned in his saddle, waiting for Senea to come to his side. "Mornings are always busy, here." She nodded her head shamefully, as if understanding that this was all her fault. His right arm rose up, grasping her reins and pulling back as another horse galloped past them. He smiled at her and turned to look at Zephir. "I think it's better if we walk."

Zephir rolled his eyes and all three of them dismounted, now carefully walking through the town. As they did, Senea let her fingers run over the linen bandages on Magnar's wrist. "Does it feel better?" she questioned.

Magnar gave her a giant grin. "Much better," he replied as his arm lifted up, raising her arm in the process and up to his lips, pressing them against her fingertips. Senea felt a heat splash across her face and pulled her hand away in a slow manner.

"I swear you two are going to make me thankful I never settled down and never will," Zephir groaned from behind him with a smirk. Senea smiled back at him before turning her attention forward.

She was excited and jittery despite everything that had happened from the previous night. She had never seen the ocean before, and the scent that filled the air was enough to make her eager to explore. By the time that they had reached the docks, both Zephir and Magnar were smiling right with her, watching her face light up as she stared off into the water.

She asked question after question as they made their way down closer to the docks. "How will we cross it?"

"A giant ship, like that one," Zephir said, pointing to a large ship with vibrant white and cream sails hoisted up.

"And how long will it take?"

Magnar turned his gaze at Zephir and shrugged. "If we get on a fast ship, no longer than half a day. If we get on a larger ship, might take closer to a full day."

Senea bit at her lip, the thought of sailing across the open waters filling her with delight. "Which ship will we take?"

Zephir laughed then. "Whichever one will take us."

And there was the hardest part of all. No matter which ship they chose, there was either no room, they weren't travelling that day, or they would have to leave the horses.

Magnar grumbled at their misfortune. "We can leave the horses at the stable, can't we?" Senea questioned.

"It'll be far too expensive. Zephir, how long of a ride is it to cross -"

"No!" Zephir spun and raised a finger to his lips, shaking his head. "There's a reason why most of these ships are full on passengers. That way is no longer considered safe."

Senea scrunched her face and crossed her arms, her hair falling to the side as she cocked her head. Magnar turned up his nose. "Why not?"

"What are you two even talking about?"

Zephir sighed and lowered his gaze at them. "A group of thugs have overtaken the fort as their own little hideaway. Lord Atemo has been so focused on keeping you know who pleased that he hasn't bothered with it."

Magnar sighed and rubbed his eyes. "Then that's out of the question. I can see if Sir Finnel has room for them."

Zephir snorted and gestured his arms to around the their area. "Magnar, you honestly think that drunk has anything under control around here?"

"I have an idea," Senea said, her fingers twisting against one another as she bit her lip. "But neither of you will like it."

They listened to Senea's idea, and she was right in assuming that neither of them would like it. It was their only option though. Magnar and Senea had left to the hawk master, leaving the horses in the care of Zephir.

In Senea's arms, however, she gripped the cloak that Lord Allard had given her. "We may not get a response, Senea."

Senea glanced up at Magnar and gave him a tight smile in return. "I understand. It's our best option though. You said he's the lord of this land. If he commands it, we can get on a ship."

Magnar shook his head and gestured towards a small stone building with a wooden hawk signpost. "I have a feeling that you should put that cloak on if you wish for this to work."

Senea nodded and did as he instructed before entering the building. Immediately upon entering, she glanced around. It was the first time she had ever entered a hawk master building. A man was seated behind a stone desk, ink wells and quills scattered across it. He glanced up at the two of them, his fingers moving across the desk and grasping a long white feathered quill. "Where to?" was all he asked in a quiet tone. "And do keep your voices down. The misses is tending to my hawks."

Senea nodded and stepped forward, nervously glancing at Magnar. "To Lord Allard Braund of Pryston."

The man snorted and raised a brow. "You wear his colors. I don't recognize you as a member of his house, though."

She tucked in her lips and nodded. "I'm a friend."

The man scoffed as he spoke. "I do hope you have the gold to pay for this."

Senea glanced at Magnar who lifted his coin purse, sliding out five pieces of gold onto the desk. That caught the man's attention, and he raised a brow delicately up his wrinkled forehead. "My cost is -"

"I know what your cost is. Consider the rest payment for your silence on this," Magnar responded.

"Done. My hawks are the fastest in town and know which areas to avoid detection. Should take one less than half a day to get to Pryston. Personally trained each one. Alright then, friend of Lord Braund. What is your message?"

"Senea needs help."