Chapter Thirty Four

Lady Snowthorne smiled at Senea as she stood in a burgundy dress that hugged her chest and bared her shoulders. The dress's sleeves were long and fanned out once they reached her elbows. It continued to hug her curves, a golden strip of cloth with intricate details hung against her hips where the dress started to loosen from her skin. The older woman raised her hands to her face as one of the maids-in-waiting had placed a golden circlet on her head, achieving the final look.

"You look beautiful, your majesty," Lady Snowthorne whispered out, giving the younger woman a deep curtsy.

Senea turned her gaze towards Lady Snowthorne and smiled politely at her. "You have amazing taste, Lady Snowthorne."

She waved her hand and walked over towards the vanity, adjusting her hair. "Has my son gone over with you about our traditions?"

Senea stepped down from the pedestal and walked closer to Lady Snowthorne with careful steps. "Yes, he has. It was actually one of the first things we really discussed."

Lady Snowthorne let out a small huff. "I'm shocked at that. He hates this festival."

Senea couldn't hide her smile as she sat on the bed, being sure her dress was smoothed. "He mentioned flowers and women proposing to the men. Lady Snowthorne, should I have flowers as well?"

"Call me Elika, please." She turned and smiled at the younger woman sitting on the bed. "It is tradition so if you would like, I can escort you to the gardens."

Senea nodded eagerly and stood up, careful to mind the dress. "Perhaps on the way there, you can explain why we're wearing such colors?"

Lady Elika wrapped her arm around Senea's, smiling at the younger as she began to walk towards the door. The maid-in-waiting swiftly opened it for the two ladies to walk and Senea gave her a quiet thank you. As they moved throughout the castle, Lady Elika leading the way, Senea was happy that the warm weather had held out from yesterday into today. They spoke briefly as they moved through the halls, Lady Elika mentioning that the warm colors they wore were in honor of the changing of the season, until the topic of Senea's mother was brought up. It slipped from her lips without a passing thought.

"Yes, I was very close with your mother. She didn't want to be wedded off to the prince." Lady Elika spoke quietly as they moved and a touch of sadness was hidden in her voice. "I was able to connect with her, talk with her, and help her from the situation she was put in."

Senea nodded her head as they walked outside to a beautiful garden filled with blossoming flowers. "If she didn't want to marry him, why did she go through it?"

The older woman smiled and patted her hand against the arm of the younger. "Your father admired her heart and passion. He was very willing to wait for her to agree, much to your grandfather's dismay." Lady Elika released Senea's arm and motioned to a bench that was carved into the large tree. Senea sat down first, her eyes darting around and widening at the amount of flowers. "Your mother agreed to the arranged marriage once she had heard he was willing to wait for her. He never pushed her, or pursued her, and not once did he use his powers against her wishes."

Senea smiled weakly. Her mother never spoke of her father to her, but Senea always wished she had. "You said that he admired her for her heart and passion?"

Lady Elika chuckled lightly. "She had a great fondness for helping people. Even when she was so young and first entered the castle, she helped the maids and kitchen staff. If not them, then she was out in the stables caring for the horses. She would also sew blankets for the poor."

"I never knew," Senea mumbled out, twisting her fingers around each other.

"She also was a skilled archer. She taught many of the ladies how to shoot properly." Lady Elika leaned back, her eyes wistfully gazing up at the sky. "I loved her very dearly, perhaps more than Lord Magnere. If I could have, I would have chosen your mother to wed instead of him." A bitter laugh broke the quiet surrounding the garden. She stood up and with long steps made her way closer to the flowers. "She would always question your father." Senea glanced up at the woman. Lady Elika looked gorgeous with the sun beating down on her tanned skin. The bright yellow dress she wore lined with a deep scarlet was the epitome of perfection.

"Question him about what?" Senea managed to ask. She stood up and followed Lady Elika as she moved throughout the garden.

"Anything and everything. It drove him mad, but at the same time, that questioning habit of hers was the force behind his greatness." Lady Elika turned. She faced Senea and grasped her hands tightly. "You may look like your father's family, but I can tell that so much of your mother is in you. Your curiosity, your compassion, all that and more is your mother."

Senea frowned as Lady Elika squeezed her hands. "The way you speak of her, I don't think I could ever be that."

A soft laugh rang in Senea's ears. "You already are. Now, that's enough talk about such sad things." Lady Elika released her hands and motioned her to move to the garden. "Pick a flower. It doesn't matter which one." It was as if she could read Senea's mind as Senea opened her mouth to speak. "And you should pick more than one. Place a few of them in that braid, but keep one behind your right ear."

Lady Elika began to walk away before stopping and turning back to Senea as she spoke. "You're leaving?"

"I have a few things to attend to before the festival begins. I'll send Magnar down here to escort you to the great hall." Without another word, Lady Elika gracefully fled from the garden, her hands steady as she walked with an air of pride.

Senea stood in the middle of the garden, baffled as she was left alone. She gazed around at the vibrant colors surrounding her, reds and oranges that blended into one another and popped against a curtain of emerald. A dreamy sigh escaped her lips. Senea had always dreamed of having such a vibrant garden filled with flowers. She walked along the thin, stone path, her eyes darting from left to right. She was determined to find the perfect flower to match with her dress, and her eyes landed on a patch of small flowers, their bright yellow challenging the color of the sun.

Upstairs, Lady Elika watched from her window as Senea knelt down and began to cautiously pick the flowers. Lord Magnere stood behind her, letting out a disgruntled huff of air. "You are encouraging this, I assume?" he whispered into her ear.

She turned to face her husband, eyes in sharp slits as she poked a long finger against his shoulder. "You will not ruin this for me, Magnere."

"She is not your daughter, Elika. Stop treating her as such."

Fire lit in Lady Elika's eyes. "By Ral, Magnere, that someone treat her with such kindness."

The man sighed and stepped away from his wife, his hands tossed in the air. "She has been treated with nothing but kindness!"

Lady Elika released a snort and turned back to watch the young queen to be place the flowers in her hair. "Yes, but a different kind of kindness. You seem to forget that she lost her family not once, but twice now." She moved as if she were walking on clouds, her hands light and feathery as she stroked her husband's face. "She lost her mother and I lost a daughter. If we can find comfort in each other, I will not allow you to interfere."

"You replace Arene so easily?" Lord Magnere turned and grabbed his gambeson from the bed and began dressing himself.

She crossed her arms and frowned at him. "Never." She moved to the door, eyeing the dark curls that fell from her husband's head. "But I will not allow her to be tossed to the wolves like Arene was."

Lord Magnere spun on his heels, his boots scraping against the stone. "Who says she was tossed to the wolves?"

"You were more than eager to encourage Arene to wed that fool, Gyren."

A look of shame filled Lord Magnere's face. "I had to in order to gain the support of Summercoast."

Lady Elika leaned against the doorframe knowing she had won. "And what good did that bring? It brought an unwanted child and her death all for a city falling to bits. They gained more than we ever did."

His face was solemn. "Elika," he began before she cut him off.

"Senea has found solace in me. You should be happy in knowing that. She is so much like Talula, and that is exactly the type of ruler this kingdom needs."

Lord Magnere grabbed the back of his neck, rubbing the muscles. "I understand, Elika. I just don't want to see you get hurt."

Lady Elika smiled and crossed the room, pulling her husband into a small kiss. His stubble brushed against her smooth cheek. "I've been given a second chance at being a friend and a mother to a daughter," her voice was soft, barely above a whisper as she spoke.