Driving Out The Darkness

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can Dr that...." Martin Luther King Jr

Leaning against the door Jaci let out a long frustrated sigh as a lone tear rolled down her cheek and fell onto the floor, tarnishing the otherwise immaculate black marble tile. Thinking wistfully of the time she'd spent with Belial, her mind battled against the ever burning desire she had to protect not only her brother but those who'd forsaken her from the gruesome fate that could be theirs. Or for once she could decide to be selfish for once in her pathetic life and choose her own happiness over that of everyone else. The immense weight of her future bore heavily upon her heart as the last flicker of hope inside her barely stood lit as the anger at her current predicament consumed her entire being.

How dare Luca give her an ultimatum, but then again how could she expect anything less of him. The prick.

Decisions.......decisions.......

Walking further into the room Jaci reached behind her back, unclasping the small button that held the form fitting dress firmly in place. Slipping the dress off hastily she slid on a gold nightie that she'd found earlier tucked away in one of the dresser drawers, before running a brush hastily through her hair, glancing up at the vanity mirror as she did so. Stress had taken its toll and dark circles stood out predominantly underneath her tired looking eyes. Running a hand down her face she inwardly groaned as the realization that within less than 24 hours she'd have to make a life altering decision and that wasn't something to be taken lightly. Standing up she shuffled over to the massive bed and plopped down onto it before pulling the plush blanket over her. Closing her eyes Jaci was hopeful that sleep would over come her quickly but by the way her mind was going a mile a minute she doubted that was going to happen anytime soon.

A few moments passed and an idea came to her, so simple she couldn't believe that she hadn't thought of it earlier-to be fair though her life had been nothing but a chaotic mess lately.

What if she somehow managed to slip Nate the necklace Belial had given her right before she'd left the palace? If it was as special as he had said it was then that would be more than sufficient to keep Nate safe from harms way. Wrapping her hand around the massive gem that rest on he chest she prayed that it would work, putting the last bit of remaining hope she had into the plan.

It just had to work or else she didn't know what the hell to do.

Holding on tightly to the bewitched necklace she slowly drifted to sleep, the last image that crossed her mind was that of Belial.

**************

The next morning came swiftly and with that the sound of someone knocking incessantly on her chamber door, rousing her from the light sleep she'd finally managed to drift into. Tossing the blanket off of herself she rubbed the sleep from her gritty feeling eyes before sliding her feet out of bed and onto the cool floor, as the knocking on the door continued. Wrapping an oversized robe around her waist Jaci scurried over to the door as quickly as she could, the knocking having just ceased a few seconds before she finally reached the door.

Pressing her ear firmly against the dense wood door she could faintly hear the sound of footsteps receding. A sensation of familiarity overcame her and as fast as she could manage she slid back the bolt and opened the door.

In the distance she spotted Nathan swiftly walking down the corridor, the distance between then growing further by the second.

"Wait!"

Nate appeared to not have heard her and she felt as if her heart sank to the pit of her stomach as he rounded a corner and out of sight.

"Please don't go Nate!" Panic crept into her voice.