Chapter Six

Jane laid in bed that night and couldn't sleep. She was relieved. The case was finally closed, thanks to Maura, and they had a few days off. She thought about her lunch with Maura earlier. It felt good to of gotten to spend one-on-one time with her, reminiscing about all of their times together. Jane remembered the first time she found out that Maura broke out into hives when she lied.

"Are you sure you don't mind covering for me?" Jane asked as she sat on the edge of her windowsill.

"Yes Jane it's fine." She said but seemed kinda nervous with the whole situation. "It's your senior year, go have fun."

"Maur, I can stay honestly. It's just some stupid party anyway."

"Jane Rizzoli. You and I both know how much you want to go to this party, just promise me you will be carful, and I'll wait up for you."

"I promise." Jane said hugging her best friend. "I'll see you in a couple of hours."

"Bye." Maura waved as Jane climbed out of the window and headed to her car.

Jane was only gone for about two hours before she had gotten a call that Maura was in the hospital. She panicked and sped all the way there. She busted into the waiting room doors and ran to the counter for some assistance but was stopped by her mother.

"Ma where's Maura?" She asked her mother who was madder than fire.

"She's going to be fine, it was just hives. Did you know Maura broke out into hives when she lied Jane Rizzoli?"

"She what? No. No Ma I didn't know."

"You had your best friend cover for you while you were out partying!" Her mom accused.

"No Ma it wasn't like that, let me explain!"

"Start talking."

"I will, I promise, but please, just let me go see Maura first." Jane begged her mother.

Angela sighed. "Fine, she's in room 206."

"Thanks Ma." She said kissing her mother on the cheek and sprinting off towards the doors to the rooms. She fast paced walked through the hall looking at numbers "210, 208, 206!" She said then took a deep breath.
She knocked on the door and herd a small, weak "come in." She walked in and Maura's eyes met hers and they panicked.

"Jane I'm so sorry. I tried to keep your cover from being blown but I couldn't, I didn't mean to give you up I swear!"

"Maura stop." Jane said and let out a sob. "I don't care about getting in trouble."

"Jane? Jane what's wrong?" Maura asked as Jane sat down by her bedside and grabbed her hand. "Why are you crying?"

"Maur.. I-.. I didn't know Maur. I didn't know you broke out into hives when you lied. Why didn't you tell me? I would of stayed home with you. I wouldn't of put you in that position. God Maura look at you." Jane said. She had once read that hives could cause horrible damage, she was terrified.

"Jane." Maura smiled slightly. "I'm okay, it's okay. I didn't tell you because I knew you wouldn't of gone. I wanted you to have fun and enjoy your senior year."

"I can't enjoy my senior year knowing I put you in the hospital."

"Jane I'm fine." Maura smiled. "I'll be out within an day. How much trouble are you in?"

"Still, and I don't care it's worth it."

"Your mom seemed pretty upset." Maura said.

"She is," Jane agreed. "But I think it's because mostly she didn't know what was happening to you. She was more worried than mad."

"I understand. I'm sorry."

"What?" Jane looked at her confused. "Why are you sorry? You haven't done anything wrong."

"I just put you and your family through a lot." Maura shrugged looking down at her hands.

"Maur, look at me." Jane said softly grabbing her chin to make the beautiful honey blonde look her in the eyes. "I caused all of this okay? Not you. You did nothing wrong do you hear me?" She grabbed Maura's hands in hers. "Nothing. Please don't feel bad. I am so sorry I put you through the shots and the rash that's my fault, all of this is my fault. Please don't blame yourself."

Maura sighed. "Thank you, Jane."

"Of course." Jane said leaning up and kissing Maura on the forehead. "Now get some sleep." She crossed her arms, still holding one of Maura's hands, and leaned her head on them.

"Jane, what are you doing?" Maura asked confused.

"Sleeping here tonight, I caused this, I'm not leaving your side. Now hush." She said with a playful smile and Maura smiled, closing her eyes.

Jane remembered that night pretty clearly. The one thing she never forgot was the sinking feeling in her stomach when she herd that Maura was in the hospital. It's like, the whole world froze. She remembers trying to keep from crying all the way to the hospital, and almost wrecking. She also remembers the two month grounding, but she was okay, because Maura was still allowed to come over, and Maura always came over.

--

Maura sat in here living room floor going through an old box of her things. Well the rest of what she hadn't gone through on the plane. She honestly wanted to see what all she had in here that reminded of Jane. Weather it be something Jane wrote or Jane gave her. Either or would do. After a few minutes of nothing she finally stumbled on a piece of paper.

"Hi, my name is Maura Isles." She reads aloud. Then stops. She knows what this is. She wrote this at two in the morning when she was crying her eyes out. She contemplates reading, and then reads on. "I'm writing this because I have a problem. I'm in love. Most people would see that as a good thing, it usually is. Not in my case, no. I'm in love with my very best friend, Jane Rizzoli." Maura stopped reading. For one, she didn't know why she was reading allowed, but it made her feel more relaxed. Secondly, she wasn't sure she wanted to know what was in this letter. She sighed and closed the letter, she wasn't ready. She had just seen Jane after ten years of never speaking. She wasn't ready to jump back into her feelings. Even though she had always had feelings for her.

She looked at the letter she had wrote herself. You see, that's the thing with Jane Rizzoli. She left a mark on you. She wasn't someone you could easily forget. She was someone that once you were in love with them, you were forever screwed. Maura remembered the major depression she went through after Jane and her lost contact. She hadn't understood what she had done wrong but she knew she would do whatever it took to fix it. She would of done anything to figure out why the beautiful girl with untamable locks for hair shut her out. Maura lived the past ten years thinking Jane had hated her, but maybe she didn't. She jumped out of her skin when Bass, her tortoise, knocked something over.

"Hello bass." She said getting up and walking over to him. "You okay? Something have you spooked?" She asked sitting next to him rubbing his shell. "It'll be okay boy." She said feeding him a strawberry. She got up and put everything back into the box and put it away.

She didn't know if she'd ever have the courage to finish going through that box that was nothing but memories of
her and the one and only, Jane Rizzoli.