Chapter Three

Maura sighed as she walked up the stairs to the BPD the next morning. She hardly slept last night, she couldn't get Jane out of her head. How was it possible? She couldn't wrap her head around it. She had been so excited to start her new job, but she didn't count on this. Not that she wasn't excited to see Jane. She was, very much so. She just remembers the nights where she cried herself to sleep, the times she skipped meals because she felt sick for being in love with someone who was leaving, just all the torture she was in just because she was in love.

"Good morning Dr.Isles." The same officer, who's name she had come to learn, from yesterday greeted her.

"Good morning Tim." She smiled politely and went downstairs to the morgue.

"Dr.Isles, will you be starting the autopsy today?" One of her assistants, Senior Criminalist Chang asked her. Maura had spoken to the young women yesterday before she left, she soon learned the women had studied her work and held her in the highest esteem.

"Yes Susie I will." Maura nodded. "Would you mind retesting all the DNA we've collected so far, I'd like to look over it myself." She said not completely trusting the results from the former medical examiner, Dr. Pike.

"Certainly." Susie said and went into the lab. Maura sighed. She slid on her gloves and grabbed her scalpel, getting ready to make the incision on their newest victim, Taylor Cardinal.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you." She whispered moving the victims hair out of the way. "But they will find the person who did this, you've got the best people looking for this bad guy."

She then couldn't stop her mind from wondering, how good of a detective was Jane? I mean, she studied to be one her entire life, she used to tell Maura stories about cases she had studied.

"Do you know who John Wayne Gacy is?" Jane asked Maura as Maura watched her favorite senior prepare dinner for the two of them.

Maura smiled, yes she knew he was, but she loved watching Jane light up as she educated her with facts on serial killers, of course facts Maura mainly already knew. "No, tell me about him."

"Well, he grew up with verbal and physical abuse. He was close with his mom and two sisters, but his dad and him never got along. His dad called him names like queer, fag, homo, etc, and he started having this horrible hatred for men. Well he would dress as a clown and attack men and boys, he had a total of thirty three to thirty four victims he had raped and murdered all together." Jane said, proud of all she knew.

"Wow, what happened to him?" Maura asked.

"He was executed by lethal injection by the justice system." Jane said. "He died at 52."

"That's fascinating." Maura said.

"Isn't it?" Jane said. "Isn't it kinda ironic."

"What do you mean?"

"He swore he'd never be that way after he grew up with his dad constantly beating him for being a homosexual, when he wasn't at the time, and he swore he never would be but he dressed as a clown and only killed males. It's just ironic to turn into the same thing you were beaten because of."

"Yeah, I can imagine." Maura said and then smelt something funky. "Jane you're burning the sauce!" Maura said frantically.

"Shit!" Jane swore and turned around to turn all the knobs to 'off '. She picked up the pot and sat it on the counter next to the stove. She grabbed a dish towel and fanned the area.

"Way to go master chef." Maura chuckled slightly and took a sip of her lemon water. Ignoring the playful glare that she was receiving from the beautiful brunette on the other side of the counter.

"Sorry I burnt the sauce, Maur."

"It's fine." Maura said smiling so Jane wouldn't feel bad. "Oh my gosh Jane." Maura said getting up and coming around the counter and grabbing Janes hand.

"Oh I never even felt it." Jane said inspecting her blistered hands.

"Come here." Maura gently gripped Janes wrist and stuck her hands under some cold water. 

"Damn Maura is burns it burns."

"I know Jane, I'm sorry, and stop cursing." Maura chuckled slightly. She continued to run Janes hands under the water and then took them out, carefully drying them off.

"Thanks, Doctor Maura." Jane teased and Maura smiled.

"You're welcome." Maura said caught Jane smiling really big. She looked her in the eyes and smiled. "What?"

"Nothing. Did I ever tell you about Son Of Sam?"

Maura smiled remember those days, When her and Jane were very close. Pretty much inseparable.

She shook her head and got to work.

--

"I didn't do nut'n!" The buff guy sitting at the table in the interview room across from Rizzoli and Korsak said. "I'm innocent."

"Sure you are." Korsak said, highly annoyed.

"Look Mr.Carson, weather you committed the murders or not you still have four warrants out for your arrest. So how about you start telling us what you know and maybe we can make some sort of deal." Jane said hoping he'd confess something, anything, to help this with this case.

"And what kind of deal are you gonna offer me pretty thang." He said leaning over the table slightly. Jane gave him her famous smirk.

"How about you tell me what you know about these killings, and I won't turn this camera off and walk out of the room and leave you here with Sargent Korsak." She said and the guy looked over at the very red-face pissed off detective.

The man swallowed thickly, "I honestly know nothing." then sighed. "I wish I could help, it's got my little cousins scared to death."

Jane sighed. She knew he was telling the truth. "Well regardless, you still have warrants out for you. You're under arrest." Jane said standing up and walking out as Korsak mirandized him.

"Any luck Rizzoli?" Lieutenant Cavanaugh asked as Jane sat at her desk.

"No sir." She said feeling annoyed.

"Jane." Detective Frost said hanging up the phone.

"Yeah?" She said running her hands over her face.

"They found another body."

"Alright come on Frost, let's grab Korsak on the way." She said grabbing her coat.

"Rizzoli." Lieutenant Cavanaugh said.

"Sir?" She said turning to her boss.

"Don't over do it." He warned and walked to his office.

"He's right Jane," Frost said. "Korsak and I can get this one and call you if we need to."

"No I'm fine." She said walking out into the hall and hitting the elevator button.
"We've got another one." She said to Korsak as he came down the hall.

"Damn." He mumbled and stood waiting for the elevator with them.