VIII.

"Alicia's lying by the way," Patrick's fingers were white against the steering wheel, and he kept his head looking straight ahead. "I don't have feelings for you."

"Pat, I know. We've no homo-ed at least 50 times."

"Pete, I'm being serious," Patrick gave him a look. "I don't."

"Patrick, I believe you, okay?" Pete shook his head at him. "You don't have to keep repeating it."

"I just wanted to make sure you knew," Patrick shrugged. "So things weren't awkward or whatever."

"Things aren't awkward, Patrick," Pete sighed. He jumped a little as his phone beeped.

I'm sorry about Alicia. That was Mikey.

Its ok. Is gerard ok? Pete tapped back, quickly and Patrick looked over.

"Is that Mikey?" He asked, quickly turned back to the road.

"Uh, yeah. He was apologizing for Alicia," he replied.

"He shouldn't have to apologize for his girlfriend," Patrick rolled his eyes and spun the wheel to turn onto the next street.

"Well, he can't dump her," Pete sighed. "Especially so close to the production," he added, sadly. His phone beeped.

I think he's just upset Frank never showed. You know how much of a drama queen he is.

Yeah. Frank's a dick. I left gerards present on the table.

Pete sighed, gently, and Patrick stopped at Pete's house.

"Thanks for driving me home, Patrick. Sorry for dragging you out there," he offered a small, awkward smile. "Good luck going home," Pete closed the door behind him and waved goodbye to Patrick, who waved back before driving off.

-

"Pete, we're not having pizza again," Pete's mom groaned, sitting at the table.

"But it's Saturday!" Pete pouted. "It's pizza night!"

"Peter, we've had pizza every night for the past five days. Just because your father's been out of town doesn't give you an excuse to not eat any vegetables at all," she chided him.

"You used it as an excuse to have your bookclub," Pete scowled, sitting down at the table. "Mom, how did you meet dad?"

"I've told you this story a million times, baby. Your aunt set me up for a blind date and I accidentally mistook your dad for the guy. He fit the description and everything. So I just sat down and he didn't really seem to mind that much. I got stood up by the other guy anyway, so nobody got hurt," she grinned.

"How did you know he liked you?" Pete asked, curiously.

"He said 'Dale, I like you. Would you like to go out with me again sometime?'"

"Mommm," Pete drawled out. "I mean... How did you know he as in love with you?"

"When he laughed at my terrible jokes and told me I was prettier than the stars and all that gushy stuff. Of course, I ate it right up," she grinned, sighing dreamily. "Don't worry, Petey; you'll have a boy do to you someday."

"I hope so," Pete sighed. "The guy I like knows I exist but has no idea I like him back... I don't know if that's better or worse," he leaned his head on his fingers and began tapping the table, sighing.

"Aw, Mikey'll come around, sweetie. He's a smart boy."

"What?!" Pete squeaked, looking up at his mother in surprise.

"It's Mikey, isn't it?" Her eyes widened, anxiously. "Oh dear... It's not Patrick, is it?"

"Patrick?" Pete rolled his eyes. "Why does everyone think we're dating?" He sighed. "But yeah, it is Mikey... But he's got a girlfriend," he sighed. "And I don't think he's going to break up with her."

"You'll get over him, sweetheart. It just takes time," Dale murmured, sympathetically.

"But I don't want to get over him," Pete sighed, sadly.

"How about I order some pizza, Pete? Will that bring your smile back?"

Pete shrugged.

-

Pete grinned as the doorbell rang and he beat his mom to the door, revealing a tired-looking Mikey.

"Hey, Pete. How are you?" He grinned at him.

"I'm great! About yesterday... I really hope Gerard knows how sorry we are," he sighed as Mikey walked in, clutching his bag close to his chest.

"It's fine. Frank bought him dinner last night so I'm sure he's fine now," Mikey grinned. "Is... Uh... Patrick okay?"

"Patrick?" Pete narrowed his eyebrows. "Yeah, he's perfectly fine."

"Gerard really liked you guys' present by the way. Another David Bowie tshirt is just what he needs," Mikey joked, laughing uncomfortably.

"So you wanna come upstairs and practice the script?" Pete asked. Mikey nodded.

Mikey lay on his stomach on Pete's bed the script on the bed in front of him. He was twitching every so often and sighing, deeply. Finally, Pete had had enough.

"Mikey, you okay?" He asked, looking up. Mikey sighed yet again before nodding.

"Yeah, it's nothing. I've just got a lot of stuff on my mind, I guess," he added, trying to reassure himself more than Pete.

"If you're trying to convince me you're okay, your acting skills are failing, spectacularly," Pete joked, standing up off the floor before sitting on the bed next to Mikey.

Mikey looked at him, nervously, and Pete stared at him, questioningly.

"Pete... Have you ever... Never mind, it's nothing," Mikey waved it off.

"Don't do that, Mikes," Pete grinned. "You have to tell me. Please?" He bounced up and down on the bed, eagerly. Mikey sighed, uncomfortably.

"I'm really confused right now, Pete. I don't know what to think. I don't understand what Alicia wants me to do, and I'm just... I don't know," he sighed. "I've been trying to figure out something about myself recently, and I just..." He shook his head, trailing off, nervously. "I don't want you to hate me," he added on, gently.

Pete had noticed that Mikey's acting skills had been a bit off today. What if he didn't want to do the play anymore? Pete sighed, gently.

"Mikey, I could never hate you," Pete murmured, softly. "I'm your best friend. I wouldn't do that to you. Whatever you have to say, I'm here for you," he said, calmly.

Mikey looked up at him, taking a deep breath.

Suddenly, Pete's eyes widened in shock as Mikey leaned forward and kissed him on the lips, quickly. It was really a peck, and Mikey was gone before Pete could even register that he was there.

"Mikey..."

"I'm sorry," Mikey gasped out. "Pete, I have to go," he added, picking up his bag and running out the door.

And Pete just stared after him with the ghost of Mikey's lips on his.