IV

-

"Oh, Donna, it's so great to see you, again!" Pete's mother exclaimed as soon as Pete opened the door.

"Dale!" Donna exclaimed, beaming widely. She stepped inside and the two women embraced each other. "Thank you for having the book club at your house this month. I know we were supposed to have it at mine, but Donald is having a guys night, you know how men are," she laughed, waving her hand, absentmindedly.

"Of course!" Dale exclaimed, laughing. "And is that little Mikey I see? Well, not so little anymore are you?"

Donna stepped aside to let Mikey in, who was wearing a light blue shirt and jeans.

"Hello, Mrs. Wentz. It's been a while," he grinned, shaking her hand, gently. He turned and flashed a grin at Pete who had to try and not to die on the spot.

"It's good to see you, Mikey. You've grown into a handsome, young man," she grinned, turning back to Donna. "And how is Gerard? I heard about his accident. I sent a sympathy card but I'm not sure if you got it," she chuckled, leading them all into the kitchen and offering Mrs. Way a glass of wine.

"Ah, Gerard," Donna sighed. "Yes, he's doing much better now," she nodded, taking off her coat, and handing it to Mikey.

"Pete, you can go take Mikey upstairs if you want, and Mikey, you can just lay the coat on that chair over there," Pete's mother smiled at him. "I'll call you boys down for dinner once some more people arrive," she smiled, gently.

"Thanks, mom," Pete smiled, walking back to the stairs, Mikey trotting behind him.

"So,"Mikey smiled as soon as they reached his room. "It's been a long time since I've been in this room," he grinned, looking around. "A lot of redecoration," he smiled.

"In a good way, I hope," Pete chuckled, nervously sitting at his computer desk.

"Of course!" Mikey replied, laughing at him. "You always had the cooler room out of us. Even Gerard was jealous," he admitted, sitting on the edge of Pete's bed.

"Oh," Pete murmured. "Wow."

"It's been a long time, Pete... I want to be good friends again," Mikey proposed. "I know we're friends now- at least I hope we are... But I want to be like we were when we were little."

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Pete spun in his spinny-chair and raised an eyebrow at Mikey.

"What are you talking about?" Mikey narrowed his eyes. "It's not my fault we grew apart."

"It kinda is," Pete murmured. "But it's kinda my fault too. We'll just split the blame in half."

"How about neither of us take the blame?" Mikey cocked his head. "It's just been outside forces. We just hadn't gotten he same classes, and our mothers haven't been conversing as much," he smiled.

"Okay. We'll be better... friends," Pete agreed, smiling. He pulled his phone out and unlocked it, going to contacts. "You can put your number in," he smiled, tossing it to Mikey who took it, gingerly.

"Thanks, man," he typed the number and texted himself before throwing it back to Pete.

"So how are things with Alicia? Is she still the same as freshman year?"

"What? Oh, yeah... Things are great," Mikey smiled. "She's just as overprotective and busy as usual," he sighed.

"Really? What's up, dude?" Pete asked, spinning around to face him again.

"She's really overprotective, and a little bit bossy sometimes. If things don't go her way, she'll usually throw a fit."

Pete figured it would be an inappropriate time to throw out a 'Way' pun.

"That sucks, dude," he said, instead.

"And if I ever have something to do, she'll get mad at me, but then she always expects to have an empty schedule. It's really frustrating sometimes..."

"Why don't you just break up with her, then?" Pete asked, cocking his head. "You seem kind of miserable around her."

"Do you know what people would say about me? Alicia would kill me if I broke with her. She'd spread so many nasty rumors as well. It's happened before..."

"Do you really care what people think of you?" Pete asked, eyes wide.

"Of course!" Mikey replied. "Reputation is everything, Pete. Especially in the acting world. You think anybody would hire an actor who 'slept around' or whatever? I wouldn't just be hurting myself, I'd be hurting the company as well!"

"Is everything about acting, though?" Pete asked, quietly.

"Pete..." Mikey sighed. "Acting is the only thing I'm good at. It's the only thing that will manage to get me out of New Jersey... I want to leave here and find somewhere I can call my own. You're good at math, and English, and working behind the scenes... You're the one who makes me look good, Pete!"

"You're good at those things too!" Pete replied, angrily. "You've got a lot of talent!"

"I don't know one thing about doing lights!" Mikey replied. "It's all Greek to me. I'd be completely lost. I'm better on stage just doing the only thing I'm good at..." He sighed.

"You're good at other stuff too, Mikey," Pete sighed, assuringly.

"All the stuff we're saying is completely between us, right?" Mikey suddenly sucked in his breath.

"Don't be silly. Of course I'm not going to tell anyone. Who would tell?"

"Patrick..." Mikey looked down at his hands, slowly.

"Patrick doesn't care," Pete shook his head, waving Mikey off. "He doesn't care about a lot of stuff. Especially relationships, and relationship problems."

"You two seem to be very close," Mikey added.

"We're not...dating, if that's what you were insinuating," Pete raised and eyebrow at him, tapping the desk, nervously.

"Oh, no, no, of course not!" Mikey laughed, loosening up a bit.

"Pete! Mikey! Dinner's ready!" Pete's mom shouted up the stairs.

Pete and Mikey exchanged quick glances before sprinting off to enjoy pizza with the urban moms who all had names such as Helen and Susan.

-

Lmao. Exact 1000 words. I hope you guys liked it!