Chapter 9

I could feel a hand running its fingers through my hair, pushing any strands away from my face.

“Wake up beautiful” someone whispered in my ear.

“Grim…” I mumbled, as I opened my eyes

“What the fuck is a grim?” Josh asked sitting next to me on my bed.

“Huh? Oh um I don’t know probably my morning gibberish talk” I said trying to play it off.

“Hmm whatever, wake up and get dressed ill make you some breakfast.” He said as he stood and walked up the stairs out of my room.

I let out a long stretch and stared at my ceiling a couple minutes. I didn’t want to get out of bed, or get dressed, or shower or anything. I just wanted to lay here and ignore anything going on outside these walls. I grabbed a pillow, shoved it to my face and let a long frustrated yell finally getting up in defeat.

I made my way to my bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face, I turned on my shower and stripped out of my pajamas. I decided to turn on my small radio to distract myself from any thinking. Didn’t work, my dad never left my mind. What the hell are me and my mom going to do? I end my shower refusing to allow myself to have a mental breakdown, I have to be strong.

I throw on a pair of jean shorts, a loose fitted black tank top, and a pair of chuck taylor converse. I brush out my tangled wet hair, and head to the kitchen to meet Josh.

“Hey you,” Josh says hold a spatula in his hand, “your pancakes and bacon are just about done.”

I sit and the table as he puts the plate of food in front of me. I poke at the food with my fork in no mood to eat.

“Seriously Lex your not gonna eat after I slaved over this hot stove for you?” Josh scolds. I roll my eyes and shove a piece of bacon in my mouth. “That’s what thought” he says with a smirk

“You know if my mom is awake?” I asked continuing to force my breakfast down

“Yea but she left as soon as I got here she didn’t say where she was headed”

“Hmm” I say taking out my phone.

Hey mom where u at?

After ten long minutes I finally got a reply

Just had to clear my head call you later

I was a little concerned but figured I would probably want the same thing if I was in her shoes. Josh and I finished our breakfast with very few words.

“So what time is the service tomorrow?” Josh asked breaking our long silence,