I gulped and looked up at him. “Weren’t you glad to have me gone?” I asked in a small voice.

He let out a deep sigh. “God, no! I was more worried and stressed about you than anything else. I couldn’t even think straight!”

I was shocked, he actually worried about me? Why? “Why?”

He let out a short, sarcastic laugh. “What do you mean why? There are so many whys.”

“Why were you worried? Why were you stressed?” I sank to the floor, not being able to handle it anymore. I just brought my feet up to my chest and rocked.

Alex lifted me and carried me to the soft chair in the lounge area. He sat on the chair opposite me, giving me space I needed. “Why shouldn’t I have cared?”

I groaned and leaned my head back. “Simply because you always made me seem like a burden to you!”

He let out another deep sigh. “You mean a lot to me, Livvy. I can’t lose you. You are part of my family. You are special to me.”

I raked my fingers through my blonde hair. This was so confusing to me. It felt like he was saying something, but also not saying it. “So how did you find me?” I asked.

“I was looking for you for so long, but on a whim, I sent a few scouts here. Yesterday they told me that they might have found you,” he said. “So immediately, I booked the closest hotel, had the, do some background checks to see if it really was you and then immediately, Sebastian and I drove here. I need you in my life, Livvy. I really do. I feel lost without you,” he said brokenly.

I looked away, but he walked over to my chair and gently placed his fingers underneath my chin. “Livvy, I swear to you, I am not lying to you,” he whispered.

“I don’t understand why,” I muttered helplessly. I was starting to get annoyed with myself. I was questioning everything and becoming too skeptical with the one person I am supposed to trust.  “I am sorry I ran away. I acted impulsively and childishly. I am truly sorry,” I said and looked down.

He brushed my hair back. “It is fine, I’m not upset. But why didn’t you come back sooner?”

“Pride,” I answered. “But also because I felt at ease here. I don’t know, I just…” I sighed helplessly.

The emotions were at the surface, but none of the words could and would come out. I was just too conflicted to think straight and formulate my thoughts correctly. “So, can I go?” I asked randomly.

“Why? Why are you running away from me?” he asked as if I had hurt him.

“I need to be free, Alex. I am not saying that I am cooped up in the mansion, but here, I was living life on my terms. I didn’t need to do anything I didn’t want to. I just had the freedom I had before I met you.” I took a deep breath. “I am thankful for everything you have ever done for me, and if there is any way I can ever thank you, let me know. But, maybe it is best if I stayed out of your way,” I told him truthfully.

I bit my tongue as I realized that I was doing the complete opposite of what I promised my parents.

He groaned. “Don’t you get it? I need to have you with me!”

“Why?” I groaned frustrated.

“I think I can answer that,” a smooth and familiar voice said.

I spun around to find the guy from the store yesterday. He smiled broadly at me. “Cashier girl,” he greeted me with that over friendly smile.

“Hi…guy that doesn’t smoke,” I said uneasily.