Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

Iris chortled.

"Derek is here BTW."

"I know." Iris said as she took a bite from the cream filled croissant, "It's yummy."

"I know."

Iris took another croissant from the plate and turned around to see Stacey who was running around here and there like a ball.

Her breath got hitched when her gaze fell on Derek at the other end of the lawn. It was not Derek, but the girl who was standing beside him and batting her eyelashes at him.

"You got to be kidding me!" Veronica exclaimed as her gaze followed Iris's.

Iris breathed lightly and turned around facing Veronica, "Where is Jason?"

"Must be around."
Veronica noticed Iris's flickering gaze towards Derek, once in a while. How she was restraining herself to not throw daggers at her head.

"Have you noticed how Ms. Bennett is clinging at Derek's arm and rubbing it seductively?"

"Who? What?" Iris furrowed her brows.

"Ms. Bennett."
Veronica pointed at the lady by Derek's side.

"Yah... That... I guess she is trying to turn him on." Iris gulped hard.

"And failing miserably." Veronica laughed as she saw Derek's annoyed face and clenched fists.

"Whatever." Iris waved her nonchalantly and turned around to face the refreshment table.

"Jealous much?"
Veronica asked turning around to face Iris, who was heaving lightly and had closed her eyes.

"Why would I be jealous?" Iris retorted as she tried to breathe calmly.

"Right. For no reason. Yet your ear is red and you've started hyperventilating a bit."

"I am just tired. Haven't got the sleep much." Iris shrugged.

"And why so?"

"Because of an ass of a friend."

Veronica laughed.
"It's funny you know, your face has so much to say, even after concealing your emotions beneath the facade of austerity, your eyes always speaks for themselves. Your face is pretty readable, you know."

Iris gulped hard and took a sip of a lemonade.

"You like him. And I am not telling you because you don't know. But because you need to listen it from someone else. Jealousy. Longing. Concern. You want to hide them. Go ahead but the way every nerve of your body twitch merely with the mention of the name of Derek, it's obvious after all. "

"You don't know anything Veronica. I am in a limbo right now. After even knowing everything, accepting everything. It's just so hard and on the top, Derek. I don't know anything. I am scared, okay? I am unsure. I can't change in a day. I need time. That's all I am asking right now. I need time. You can't understand."

"I am trying to, but you, you still have not accepted the obvious."

"I am only human, Veronica."

"You always have excuses to run away from love."

"Believe me this time, I am not running away." 

With that Iris turned around and walked away to Jason whom she found standing by someone at the porch of the back lawn.

"Jason?"

Jason nodded to the person he was talking to and turned around to see Iris.

"Hello to you too..."