Leaving Me

Batm 14

Today is the final round of fighting for Vanessa, if she wins this she can leave street fighting with no strings attached in five years.

She woke up and has been serious all day. "Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah," she says uninterested.

I grab her and make her look at me, "Calm down, you'll be fine," I say.

She sighs and nods, "Sorry. I'm just a nervous wreck."

I nod. Mark walks in and says "Dark Angel we must go. Is he coming along too?"

She looks at me and I look back hopefully. "Sure but he can't see any of the fighting."

He nods and I go get ready in two minutes.

At the arena everyone is excited, Vanessa seems nervous though. I try to sooth her but Mark gives me a look. I don't even place a hand on her the whole way there because his look meant that I couldn't be acting like a softy at the moment.

As soon as we get there she goes to the locker rooms and changes. She comes out in shorts and a sports bra. She grabs her robe and puts it on quickly.

Mark laughs, "You're still weirded out just like you used to be."

Mark and Vanessa leave me backstage with some body guards. I hear the shouts get louder seconds after Vanessa has left to the stage. I also hear a few boos.

The shouts get softer and then they get louder yet again with boos as well.

Once the screams quiet down the announcer says, "Today in the final round we have Dark Angeeeeeeelllllllllllllll versusssssssss Claaaaaaaasaaaaaawwwwwwsss!"

A few minutes later I hear the bell, signaling the round, go off.

I then hear a whistle and the announcer says some sort of foul that is unclear to me. I however do hear it was Claws to Dark Angel.

Seconds go before another one and another one. The amount of whistles is overwhelming.

Soon I hear the announcer say, "And Dark Angel wins by default!"

I hear plenty of boos and then I see a hospital bed with Mark beside it, being wheeled towards me.

"Mark what happened?" I ask worried.

"Claws scratched her multiple times and she also choked her as well. She has asthma so the shortage of breath is bad for her," he says.

I follow them to an examination room. She is having trouble catching her breath and has multiple bruises around her collar bone and scratches all over her face and body.

When Vanessa seems fine she still doesn't talk.

"You won by fouls," Mark says coldly.

"I'm sorry what was I supposed to do? Beg to continue fighting after I was physically incapable of doing it?" she says coldly.

She covers her face with her hands and starts crying.

Mark seems to regret what he said but the only thing he says is, "I'm scheduling a rematch, for next week."

She looks at him in disbelief but doesn't say a word.

"And you better win."

"Trust me, I will," she says.

We eventually go back to the hotel and pack up. We're apparently moving to a nicer area because this hotel is in the bad neighborhoods.

We all take a cab there in silence, I'm acting like the barrier between the two.