The almost more than a first kiss

Batm 4

The next morning I pick Vanessa up at her house. She is sort of quiet but I guess it's just one of those days.

We go to school and when we get to school she grabs my hand, never letting go for even a second. I can tell she has her guard up and isn't planning on putting it down anytime soon.

We go to our usual hangout and I try setting her on my lap. Vanessa then says "Zayn look at me."

I give her a confused look but look at her, "Vas happenin?"

"This is serious," she says. "Has anyone mysterious come up to you, or even approached you?" she asks.

"Not that I remember," I answer honestly. She was staring to freak me out a bit.

"Good. Now promise me that if someone does you will tell me?" she asks.

"Yes I promise but why does it matter?" I ask.

"The less you know the safer you are, you have to trust me on that," she says looking at me.

"But we can't have secrets in a relationship."

"Some secrets are necessary for your safety. Please don't ask anything else, I don't want you getting hurt," she says.

"That's my job. To protect you and me," I state seriously.

"I think it's clear that I have to protect you in this relationship and it's not your job when it's my fault that you're even in potential danger," she says.

"But-"

"Drop it!" she exclaims.

We both stay silent after that.

What was she talking about? What kind of danger? How did she get us into this?

"Vanessa I must know what you're talking about, it isn't fair to me," I say.

"Look I'm protecting you, you're going to have to trust me on that," she says.

I sigh and stay silent until school starts. When the bell rings she grabs my hand and we walk.

"Babe calm down, we're at school, the farthest away I can be from you is a thousand feet," I say.

We walk towards my class. "Where are we going? I thought I was going to walk you to your class?" I ask.

"I just want to know you're safe, and if anyone, hopefully no one does, but if anyone you don't know approaches you please call or text me the minute they do," she says looking up at me with worry in her eyes.

"Okay calm down, I will," I say.

I give her a hug which she kind of returns and then she stands on her tip-toes to give me a kiss . . . On the cheek again. I honestly don't know when we'll have our first kiss but I'll wait for her.

With that I watch as she walks off to class.

At lunch we all sit in our usual group, the boys are still working on the same three girls. I've noticed that they seem to be getting lovey-dovey with the girls too.

"Hey guys, what's up?" Harry asks as he sits down right next to me and Vanessa. I have kind of become accustommed to seating her on my lap. She still doesn't like to sit on my lap but she goes with it as long as I don't bother her while she is texting.

"Nothing, and you Harry?" she asks looking away from her phone.

He smiles, surprised to finally be starting a conversation with her.

"Not much really, I just want the year to end so we can all go to prom," he says.

"Zayn, I need to talk to you," Liam says.