Chapter 4: I'm Veronica Williams

UNEDITED

__________________________

Chapter 4: I'm Veronica Williams

I stared out the window of Dev's old Jeep as a sign that said "Welcome to Florida" in big bold letters came into view. Summer was just about over and thanks to John I now had enough money to pay for my car. Sure eight-thousand dollars wouldn't be enough to pay for a nice new car but a nice used one would be just as useful.

There were six of us and only one car. Kayla and Ethan might not be able to drive yet, but we should still have something other than Dev's beloved Jeep to drive all of us around. If I had a car then Carter wouldn't need to find a job within biking distance of our new house. I could just drive him to work after training, go home, get ready, and go to school. It's as simple as that.

"Are we there yet?" Ethan and Kayla whined in unison. I wonder how long they'd been practicing to be able to do that?

"No and we aren't any closer then we were the last time you asked." Carter groaned.

Carter, Jer, and I played "rock, paper, scissors" earlier to see who had to ride in the Jeep with Ethan and Kayla and who got to ride in the moving truck with Devon. Guess who lost? Go ahead I'll even give you a hint: their names rhyme with Barter and Rabigail.

"You two are going to drive Carter insane." I chuckled "Why don't we play 'I'm thinking of an animal'?"

They both nodded their heads up and down vehemently. We usually played this game when we went on road trips or long drives. It wasn't that complicated. You just thought of an animal and then proceeded to say where it lived and a few other things about it. The people playing would ask you yes or no questions about it and then try to guess what it is.

I had always loved playing it when I was younger so I figured that my younger siblings would probably like it as well.

"I wanna go first!" Ethan shouted. "Okay so I'm thinking of an animal: it lives in someone's home, it has blonde hair and blue eyes, ooh and its breath really stinks and-"

"Are you describing Kayla?" I cut him off while turning around in my seat and raising my left eyebrow. I was sitting up front with Carter while Kayla and Ethan sat in the back.

"Yep! You got it Abs! Your turn!" Ethan yelled out as he tried his best to look innocent.

"Hey! That isn't nice!" Kayla whined "You have blonde hair too!"

"Yeah but my eyes are green and my breath doesn't smell bad!" Ethan retorted. They both began shouting at each other.

I glanced at Carter and he looked at me. We had one of those silent conversations that are only possible to have with someone you've known for a long time. I widened my eyes considerably and tilted my head to the right. For some reason he knew exactly what I meant and pulled over at the next gas station.

Carter cut the engine and turned around in his seat to glare at our bickering siblings. I followed suit and before long the car was void of any and all sound. Ethan stared down at his shoes while Kayla twiddled her thumbs. Ethan mumbled a "sorry" to Kayla and Kayla mumbled an "it's okay" back.

Devon didn't really like us yelling at them but even they knew that we would. Carter and I both had that shut-up-or-else look on our faces and both of our younger siblings understood what that meant.

An orange and white moving truck pulled up next to the Jeep. Devon rolled down the window and I did the same.

"Why'd you guys pull over?" Dev questioned sounding both confused and suspicious.

Not a good girlOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara