Chapter four

Who doesn't have doubts about a place like this? Who doesn't wonder if they've joined a cult, or just learned about reality? I'm not that different. There is nothing about this place that defends the reality that I'm used to. But there's also nothing that tells me whether it's real or not. The only thing I can do now is follow along with their customs, and if something pops up that tells me that it's a fraud, I am out of there. I have to build a house? Fine. I'll build a good house.

Jacob leads me to an empty spot on the grass, and stops.

"Right, I forgot to mention. My name is Calmante."

"London..." I slowly say.

"I know."

"I know. But wait- what about Jacob? Was that like... a cover or something?"

"Yes." He answers as if it were a question like "do you have a bathroom", or "can I have a cup of water?"

I thought that revealing that you had a cover name was a big deal.

"Calmante" starts walking to the left from the first aid tent, and I follow, shuffling my feet and trying not to look at anyone. After he walks a few meters, he stops at an empty spot of green, luscious grass. Everything here seems to be green. There's no dry grass anywhere, and the only tan, light colored terrain is the sandy wall surrounding this village. That is so different from home. Still walking, I bump into him, almost knocking him over.

"Careful." He says, regaining his balance. After a moment of stumbling over his words, he says "Well, this is going to be your home here in Elementary."

Then it hits me. I feel fatigue suddenly hit me, and dizziness spreads throughout my head.

I timidly begin: "Am I ever going to leave here? I mean- go back home?"

"We'll see, depending on your element. Oh! That reminds me. You have school during Fergusson at the schoolhouse at the top of the hill."

"Fergusson?" I ask, still dizzy.

"Meese, Calmante! My apologies. We have a different way of telling time here than where you're from. Fergusson means... I believe... Eight U clock?"

I look down at my wrist. The one day I don't bring my watch to school, it's the one time I need it. Nice job, London. 

"Um... I don't have a watch."

"Excuse me?" 

"I don't have a watch." I point to my wrist. "I can't tell the time without it."

"You are probably unfamiliar with the time system here."

"Definitely." I say a little too loudly.

"Well..." He furrows his eyebrows a bit at my comment. "Each hour is represented by a famous Elementeer from History. Fergusson invented the maze."

"Love that guy." I hate that guy.

"He prevented any of Durus's minions to find our civilization, so we are the last standing Irresent. And by the way, an Irresent is a different dimension full of Elementeers. I expected you not to know."

I nodded up and down fast. "Thanks." I say enthusiastically.

"Well, I'd better leave you to it. Good luck, London. Your materials are right there, in that large bag." He points to a woven bag on the ground across the empty patch of grass.

"But-"

"Goodbye, London."

He walks away promptly after, and I'm left alone. I take a deep breath, and head toward the bag. Sitting down, I grasp each side of the bag with my hands, and I open it. 

The bag contains a stack of bamboo, a cloth like the rest of the tents, a rolled up rope, a knife, a sheet of instructions, and a smaller bag inside. Food. I hadn't realized how I hungry I was. I stare at the loaf of bread.  On my first thought, I bite into it, but then I put it back into the basket. It may get dark before I finish. I can't let that happen. 

Using the sheet of instructions as a reference, I take two rods of bamboo, cut into the exact same size, and fit together perfectly, and put them together. They're like a set of Lego's. But they aren't at all like the older ones where you just build what you want, instead of having to follow the instructions of how to build the stupid Death Star. Mom used to buy me sets, and I would always get mad at her for not buying the correct Lego's. So instead of following directions, I just built whatever came to mind.

Then it hits me.

I throw the instructions back in the bag. Standing up, I start with four rods. Two are medium sized, and two are short. I start building, roping bamboo together, occasionally standing on the tip of my toes to reach the top of the bamboo. Soon enough, I turn around to grab the sheet, and use the left-over rope to tie it over the tent.

I take five steps back to look  at the full view of the tent. Give yourself a at on the back, London. You didn't fail. It took a much shorter time than I thought it would. 

I pick up the bag, and walk inside the tent. It's becoming dim outside, so I'm probably going to spend the night here. I drop the bag in the corner. If they forgot that people sleep in beds, then that explains why there isn't even a blanket. I hear a noise outside that sounds like something dragging along dirt. 

I walk outside again, inspecting my surroundings, when I see a small mattress, and covers. On the mattress is a note.

-Hunter

 These are pretty old. Fortunately, though, the mattress is small, so I can drag it into the tent easily. 

After a long day, I fall asleep, thinking about Mom, my old room, and even Mrs. Longe.