Part 3 - The Complication

Four months later

"Watch your step," Gale said gently. Even though they were on easy terrain, Katniss watched Madge stumble at least four times. She wasn't used to being out in the woods, what with the government restrictions about venturing into the woods and all, but Madge didn't complain. She just kept plugging away as they made it to the clearing where they had planned to have their picnic.

Katniss and Peeta walked more easily, positively strolling hand in hand, searching for herbs that they'd occasionally pause to collect. Peeta had gotten so good at foraging that he now easily identified such herbs as rosemary, sage and basil, collecting them to use in his bread or finding basic medicinals that he gave to Katniss to take to her mother.

"Do you want to take a break?" Katniss asked when Madge tripped again.

"N-no," she answered. "I'm clumsy, but I'm not tired," she joked. Gale turned to glance at her, a small smile dancing on his normally brooding lips. He paused so she could catch up and took her arm, steadying her as she walked so that she would not fall again.

"I've never seen you in hiking pants, Madge. The look suits you," Peeta said. Indeed, she was wearing almost manly clothing - a t-shirt with pocketed-pants made for the outdoors, and boots to protect her as she trudged through the underbrush.

"Thanks. I found them in my mother's room. They fit me and she gave me permission to wear them."

Gale glanced down at her, nodding once, then lead her down a natural path until the trees appeared to step back and give way to a large meadow covered in tall grasses and wildflowers. It always took Katniss by surprise how spectacular it appeared to her but seeing Madge's eyes become large as saucers at the sight before her made her love the meadow even more. Peeta squeezed her hand - it wasn't the first time they'd been there together but he was as excited as she was. It looked like something he could paint.

"Did you bring your sketchbook?" Katniss whispered.

Yes," he dropped his voice so only she could hear him "I can' wait to draw you, lying naked, in the middle of all those flowers..."

"Slow down," she hissed, though the idea of it, of being alone with him in those grasses sent a wave of excitement over her. "Our present company might disapprove."

Peeta smiled, his eyes twinkling with humor. "Next time, then. Before the wildflowers disappear."

Katniss shook her head, wondering at where he got the stamina and happy just to try to keep up with him.

They found a spot in the grass and lay out their blankets. Being careful with the insects, they took out their respective offerings - Katniss brought goat cheese, made fresh by her sister from her goat, Lady. In the cube was a vein of crushed herbs and Katniss' mouth watered at the idea of trying her sister's newest innovation. Lady had been yielding a lot of milk lately and Prim was doing well, selling her cheese and butter at the market. This particular experiment with the cheese had been met with great success and was on demand, especially by Merchants who could afford the costlier product.

Peeta produced a large loaf of freshly made bread, which still had a dusting of flour on the crust, filled with nuts and raisins, just the way Katniss liked it. Gale had collected berries and brought the iced tea in a large thermos. But it was Madge who outdid everyone with a selection of thick, dried sausages and cured meats. The aroma of cheese and spices soon filled the air as they each served themselves, taking their fill until they all lolled on the grass, their bellies full and their skin warm from the sun and the hike.