III - Luke Skywalker

Start from the beginning

Mara sighed, dropping her blaster from his face. "Sorry. You caught me off-guard." She looked around, shaking her head. "What the hell was that? Those noises?" 

The boy looked at her, then relaxed, sweeping a bit of blonde hair from his eyes. "Tusken Raiders. Locals call 'em-"

"Sand people," Mara sighs in realization. She guessed it really had been a while since she had been on Tatooine.

The boy nodded at her. "Yeah. Mean old things - like to attack ya without any warning." He paused, looking her over, before extending his hand. "I'm Luke. Luke Skywalker."

She stared at his hand for a moment, before accepting it. "Mara."

"Good to meet ya, Mara."

"Good to meet you, too, Luke."

"What are you doing so far out here without a speeder?"

Mara shrugged, thinking up a quick lie. "It's a bit of a long story, actually, but I got lost out here after my ship crashed. Engine malfunction, should have seen it comin'."

Luke frowned at her. "Well, that's good ol' Tatooine luck for you. Mos Eisley is a few miles north of here, but it's dangerous on foot. I've got a speeder, I can take ya, if you'd like?"

Mara perked up. "Really?

"Sure, I was headed there today anyways." Luke started walking, nodding his head to beckon Mara to follow. "My place is this way."

Having only spent an on-and-off year on Tatooine, Mara couldn't say she knew much about common Tatooine life. Back then, she had preferred to sleep on her ship, and whenever she visited the planet itself, it was straight to her former smuggler boss, Jabba the Hutt, and occasionally the cantina. When they do reach Luke's home, she does her best not to look too intrigued.

What they eventually reached at first looked like nothing more than a small dome structure, sculpted completely from sand. Hardly big enough to fit the two of them. But when Luke ducked inside, Mara following, she realized the dome covered a staircase, leading to a chain of tunnels and other rooms below the ground. A few decorations were hung on the walls, with sparse plants scattered here and there (most likely fake plants, given Tatooine hardly had enough water for its people, let alone plants. It was a nice touch, either way).

"Uncle Owen?" Luke called out, looking down a hallway. "Aunt Beru? I have a-"

"Not now, Luke." A man suddenly rounded a corner, brushing past both teenagers without much more than a glance. "The Jawas are almost here. You can see your friend later."

"Uncle Owen, wait," Luke continued to press until Owen stopped, turning around. "This is Mara. She got lost out in the valley. I was just gonna take her into town-"

"You got lost in the valley?" Owen asked, looking at the girl.

Mara nodded. "Yes, sir. I was flying to Mos Eisley when the engines failed and I crashed. But Luke's offered to take me to the rest of the way, if that's alright with you."

Stars, it felt odd to ask that way, but she could tell that Luke wouldn't be going anywhere without permission. Mara had practically grown up in the Alliance. Back there, she didn't have to ask for permission like this, mostly because she had grown up fast enough to figure things out on her own.

Owen hummed something under his breath, then nodded. "Alright."

Relief flooded through her.

"You can take her there in the morning."

Mara's face dropped. "I'm sorry, sir, but it's important that I get there as soon as possible."