Chapter 9: "مودّة"(Love) and "رحمة"(Mercy) PART 1

Start from the beginning

"I'll get it", I heard Fahad bhai come. He sped to the door from the living room.

Surprisingly, he came back in with Imran. I got my phone which I had forgotten in the kitchen and looked at the time. Imran was early. He came in the kitchen for a glass of water. I said salaam he replied with salaam but rather rudely. He didn't even look at me. As if now he didn't care even about my presence. I felt really bad about his behaviour with me these days. He was getting worse and worse to be around.

Aunty Sabeeha tried to cheer him up by making his favourite sweet; chocolate lava cake. He ate his bit and complimented his mother. That was all what he said that night before he went away to our room.

"Afaaf, is everything fine with Imran? Is there something wrong between you two?". So I was right. Amna api also had the same question, "I don't want to come between your personal matters but Fahad was feeling like his brother has changed. He was saying that he feels Imran is stuck somewhere"

Then again while doing the dishes, Aunty Sabeeha came upto me and said, "we need to talk to Imran. There's something wrong with him. He is under some kind of pressure because of something we don't know about"

And all I could say to them was, "I'll talk to him. He'll be fine"

This wasn't a lie. I was going to talk to him tonight no matter how rude he's been with me. I've to ask him to quit his rude act and get back to how he was before our marriage.

So, there he was collecting his pillow and blanket from the bed which he always dropped near me every morning so that no one knows that he slept on the couch. As he walked away I called his name. I chewed hesitantly on inside of my cheek not knowing how to talk to him. He didn't listen to me and went back to the couch. I called him again, this time, a bit louder.

"What?!", was his equally louder reply.

"You need to stop this. This is wrong and your family has started to make assumptions"

"I need to stop what?!", he looked into my eyes. Sternness covered his face.

"This!", I pointed at him, "your extremely rude attitude towards your family and me"

He raised his eyebrow at me, warning me to stay in my limits. He got up and came closer to me. He towered over me; his figure making me feel small and weak. I was still staring into his eyes.

"You, Miss Afaaf Hameed, don't need to tell me what I should do! As far as my family is concerned I know how to handle things around them", he stared at me, his eyes turning red. I wasn't going to get scared from him.

"No! You don't know how to handle things! If you had handled things your mum wouldn't come asking me about the change everyone's noticing in you", I was fierce right now.

He came too close and stared deeply in my eyes, "You've lost every right to talk to me like that. Do you understand?! Not a word!", he pressed his index finger pushing against my lips.

After intensely staring past my soul, he slowly moved away. I would never talk to him again, I decided. Never in my entire life!

I went to bathroom and cried; one of my before bed routines now a days. I hated this life with Imran. I hated him so much. I can't do this anymore. I was going to talk to mum soon and I was going to get rid of this trouble once and for all. I was going to divorce him. No more Imran; no more feeling sad or guilty. I just had to wait for mum to get better and then do as I was told by Hareem.

When I came back, I saw my bag filled with exam papers to correct lying on the dresser. I remembered to do half of them later today and it seemed like I completely forgot. So I took my bag, sat on the bed and started correcting. After two hours finally I was done. Within these two hours Imran kept tossing and turning on the couch. He was restless. That explains the rude attitude. He wasn't getting peaceful sleep that's why he couldn't feel better and remained distant to his family these days. I knew what do about that.