hell's Angels [6] unedited

Start from the beginning

“Sorry about that, I kind of forgot how it affects people. I actually felt a twinge myself that time which is odd in itself.” His voice trailed off ponderingly while I just looked between him and the strange river gurgling behind me that was singing an enticing tune that had me wanting the dip my toes in the water.

“What is it?” I questioned dreamily as my eyes became entranced by the ever-changing colour of the water. It was a beauty that sought out my very soul and had emotions rocking through my body as I took an unsteady step back towards it.

A hand tugging on mine drew my gaze back to Lucius and he shook his head back and forth. “Don’t ever touch that water.” His voice sent chills up my spine and the pretty sparkling water took on an ominous note within my heart.

“W-why?” I stuttered glancing back at it with longing.

“If you step into that water you will fail to be you. It strips away all of your memories and everything that makes you until you are pure essence and you are returned back to the source so that you can be reborn. Usually soul mates choose that path because it is a well-known fact that soul mates usually find each other again.” Lucius squeezed my hand tightly and urged me away from the temptation of the water that was still beckoning me with it otherworldly allure. “It’s a remnant of the Greek underworld,” He added when he caught my quizzical expression. “As beliefs shift the underworlds change. The Elysian Fields are now part of heaven. We in hell got the rivers of the underworld and Tartarus. This is where the entire premise of the fiery pits comes from.”

I gulped and nodded my head as I tried to conjure up my knowledge of the Ancient Greeks but only came up with the limited knowledge of gods and goddesses. This made me question something else. If the Greek underworld existed, did that mean that the Gods and Goddesses did too? I opened my mouth to question Lucius but he gave me a look to shut up just as a carriage drew near to us. I noted that it was pulled by a large black stallion – that had three heads. I was unnerved by its eyes. They were red, pure untainted red that bore straight into my soul.

“Savannah please meet Crimson Shadow -the most beautiful horse in all of my hellish lands.” Lucius cooed the end of the sentence at the horse as he dropped my hand so that he could step closer and smooth each head affectionately. “Get in the carriage, I just need to talk to the ferryman and we will set off.” He informed me, his gaze moving to the eerie old man perched upon the driver’s seat of the carriage with reigns held firmly within his grasp.

It didn’t take me long to figure out that the ferryman was another left over from the Greek rule. Still, I did as Lucius asked and climbed into the carriage and sat back into the plush seats that were covered in black velvet. My fingers drummed against my knees as I looked at the possibilities before me. How could Hell be so – unlike hell? It was more like an ancient city than a place for the tortured and evil souls. No doubt there was something more to it and it probably had something to do with Tartarus but I would have to find out from Lucius when he felt a little more forthcoming.

I waited patiently for Lucius to climb in the back and when he did so, his face was taut and his eyes held a look of pure malice. Gulping, I quickly averted my gaze from him to look out of the window. Even after all this time around him I still got scared when he was angry. It was one of the few times that I got to see that he was in actual fact the devil and possessed a coldness and callousness that would allow him to do bad things if pushed to it.

My eyes were blurred for a moment and were focused on the red light on the horizon. If possible it was more terrifying than the eyes of the man accompanying me in the carriage. I could feel and hear things coming from the red light but there was no way to clearly define them other than they sounded tortured – they sounded wrong.