The Afterman

Over the next few days, Ron sent me more of the videos of her singing, in various places. One was in the park during the day, another one in the night. The last one he sent me was in a cemetery, well, in front of one. There was a light casting Ron's shadow onto Adrian, who was sitting against a tree. I could make out some of her features, like the cuts that stood out against her skin. So this was shot after she started spiraling out, I thought. It was apparently came in during the middle of a conversation, because Adrian was in the middle of a story, with her deeper than average voice having an excited  tone, shifting pitch as she tended to do. "...And she's just, flying! I followed her, and it was like I had turned into a dragon, or something. We were about to go into a cave, and I woke up. This time I knew it was for real, because my dog was on my chest, and my mom was telling me to get up, like always."

"I'm filming, Amy."

"You could've told me sooner."

"I like hearing your dreams too much to do that."

"Your skewed standards scare me, Ronny."

"Well, I always scare you, don't I?"

Her head nodded. "Fair enough. What do you want me to sing?"

"Something that calms you. You're spooked about something. Don't know what, but I won't press it. Just sing, kid."

He gave his heart to a falling star

When the news filtered up of her tragedy all the walls the went up

Around a world he declines

As the tears from his eyes fall

No one understands and no one will

All that he has lost

If she's not here, then where?

When he found it  there, in the cold, blue glare

The words  distressed and unfamiliar where the feelings seared

An emptiness had hung, and in his chest, he clenched

Reality settled in as the memories raced, while on the screen she lived

I found myself singing along with the next line, because it felt right. "Your selfishness has robbed you, of the girl you could've been. I wouldn't change a thing about you. I love you dearly, my friend." Hey, Ron messaged me. What's up? I replied. 

-Just listening to music, you?

Just got done watching the last video you sent me of her.

-Oh. 

Yeah. I'm fine though, I swear. 

-Whatever you say

-Do you want to come hang out again?

I don't know. Why do you ask?

-I just wanted to see if you wanted to. Maybe we could go do something. 

Yeah, sure. Maybe something this weekend. If my mom's up to the idea of me hanging out again.

-Alright. Gotta go to work. I'll talk to you later.

Bye

I shut my laptop, and went to write. I wrote a letter to Adrian, about what has happened to me after she died. The past two days at school were kind of tense. The teachers were careful around me, like they were afraid I would follow my only friend into the abyss. And all of the other students, well, they didn't mess with me. I get the feeling that they realize they were the cause of this. Some people even approached me and said they were sorry for my loss. Some of her other friends that would never come near me were the ones that did so. I also told her that I think she gave me two other friends, both of whom are actually really cool.

I can't think of anything else, and it's already long enough, so I'm just gonna leave it here. Thanks for understanding, and hope you liked it!

~TLR