{1.7}

Disclaimer:

I do not own The Maze Runner, but I do own the picture in the media because I made it (:

-✼-

"My name is Teresa, I'm nine years old, and I want to save the world."

Miss Hu nodded with an impressed expression on her heart-shaped face. She was a young Asian woman probably in her early twenties. Her straight, jet-black hair was pulled back into a high ponytail at the crown of her head. "That's quite the goal there, Teresa."

The tall, thin-faced girl sitting two spaces down from me lifted her pointed chin a little higher. "That's what they told me we were doing- saving the world."

Miss Hu smiled gently. "I'm not saying you can't. I believe that you can. Next?"

The room was cramped and small, barely fitting us ten children plus our counselor, as Ava called her. We were pushed into a circle that made us so close to one another that our elbows touched. I was squished between Steph- Thomas, and another boy with black hair swept across his forehead and a bored expression.

"Minho?"

The boy snapped out of it. He blinked, then returned his face to its default emotion- something that made him look untouchable. "Name's Minho. I'm eight. My goal is to run faster than ever in the running trials, but saving the world sounds pretty cool."

I sucked in a nervous breath before speaking. "I'm Dylan. I'm eight. Um...my goal is to...touch my toes like Sonya can."

"Who's Son-yuh?" A blond boy asked.

Everyone stared at me, waiting for an answer. A blush crept up to my cheeks as I began to realize I said something I shouldn't have. Sonya wasn't in the room- in fact, the only time I had seen her was at training. Where was she?

Miss Hu looked anxious for some reason. Her voice was slightly higher than usual when she said, "Doesn't matter. Next."

My brother spoke, but I could hardly hear him with the embarrassment filling me up. I kept my eyes on my feet while his voice faded to background noise. My cheeks burned; I felt tears rising. Great- my first time in a room with all of the Subjects and I managed to make myself an outcast already.

The rest of the session went by quickly considering I paid no attention to the rest of the introductions. Miss Hu said a few more words I didn't hear before letting us go. Most of the kids stood and pushed past each other to get out of the cramped, stuffy room.

"Hey, there."

I looked up from my feet to see the girl named Teresa standing in front of me. She shifted most of her weight onto one foot and offered me a gentle smile.

I swallowed. "Hi."

"I'm friends with your brother, Thomas," she explained in a kind voice that made me instantly take a liking to her. "He talks about you a lot. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I think you're really nice and I know what it's like to feel different. Do you want to be my friend?"

I took in her high cheekbones, pale skin, and striking blue eyes. She was pretty; I found myself wishing I had her black hair. Mine was plain, boring brown, just like my eyes. Everything about her was a stark contrast to me.

"Yeah, I wanna be your friend." I smiled and stood from my chair, finding myself wishing I was taller when I saw I only came up to her chin. "Nice to meet you, Teresa."