Fault 36

Author's note: You don't have to listen to the song if you don't like metal. I'd suggest you would because it's an amazing song and it relates well with Ryan. Enjoy the chapter.

I promise.
After I eat Jack directs me to my room. I pull a Josh and wait until he's two steps ahead to start to walk. I catch up fast and stop walking just so he can be ahead. It has only been a couple of hours since I left and it feels like weeks.
"You make it hard on them. They haven't seen you in twelve years and they can't even call you Grace."
"My names Ryan" I defend.
"Yeah well I was there when they named you. I was there when they filled out the birth certificate. I saw Grace and that's what you should be called by."
I'm irritated. "Is it because I'm a female that I can't have the name Ryan? Am I not allowed to read comic books because it's a boy thing."
"That's exactly why" he states. I can feel the hate between us. "Here's your room you spoiled brat."
The walls are white. My covers and sheets a dark purple. A full body mirror is attached to the back of the door. My dresser is sparkling clean but not for long. I drop my duffel bag and shut the door. I go back downstairs and open the patio door. They have a pool and a trampoline.
"Hey Rebecca do you think that pool is solid ice?" I ask. I don't mean to call her by Rebecca.
"It should be" I hear her call back.
I run up to my room and shove my ice skates on. I'm thankful Josh stuck them inside my bag. I wobble through the snow. I test to see if the ice is completely ice by stabbing my blades into it. The pool is a large rectangle shaped. This is enough for me to skate on.
I glide around while the snow falls on me. No coat or hat. Just my long sleeve and a scarf I stole from Josh. I listen to one of my favorites song while skating.
"I melt like the snow in the part where you dance" I sing to myself and the cold.
The song goes on to play for multiple times and I don't find myself getting bored of it. I love it even more listening to it while skating. I noticed all of them watching me. I lose balance but catch myself and focus. Towards the beginning of the song I ponder on the words. I repeat the same lyric. As this love has torn. I'm reminded of Josh and I spiral to my feet. Of course I'd fall thinking about him because I know this love will rip us apart.
"Grace are you okay" Jack yells.
"Don't call her that" Daniel orders.
"Her names Grace and I don't care if she doesn't like it."
I don't bother get up. I hear the feet in the snow move closer and I wipe my tears away. Can't let them see me so vulnerable.
"Grace" Jack says his voice much closer, "are you okay? Do you need help standing."
"No no I'm fine."
I pull myself up like an adult does after getting too drunk one night. I walk through the snow clenching onto Jack because my legs do hurt and I am freezing.
"You're very talented I'll admit but stupid for going out there in this weather."
"Soon Jack you'll know me for my reckless behavior."
I got to my room to change into comfortable clothing. I change into some sweats and Mabel's sweater. Going downstairs was a pain. My knees hurt from the fall. I plump onto the couch. Jack is on my phone.
"Hey!"
"I'm just putting the WiFi in. Calm yourself Gracey."
Ew. Gracey? I hope that wasn't a nickname for me. Next Marlyn was repeating it in a chant. I rub my left knee while checking my messages. I throw my phone into my laptop case.
"I think I'm gonna go to sleep. So um goodnight I guess."
"Goodnight" each of them said.

I sleep well despite my knees being in pain. Only three more days. I'm doing just great so far. I can live. Josh still hasn't responded back. I'd live with the exception of wanting to be next to him. I long for a love I know I can't have.
My door creeks open and it's just Daniel. "Sorry I didn't expect you to be awake. I'm going to take a day off of work so we can catch up I guess. Maybe you can show me how to ice skate."
"Sure but let's hope the both of us together doesn't break the ice" I joke innocently.
Rebecca is right he has no sense of humor.

I'm outside gliding on ice while Daniel is trying to keep his balance composed. I don't know any stances he's supposed to get into skate correctly. I had only learned it all from watching Josh.
I tug on him, dragging him softly out of his spot. I go around the pool three times and let his hand go.
"Hey get back over here I can't stay still."
"It's ice" I sing and jump in the air landing on softly.
"Show off he mutters."
Throughout my teaching lesson Jack is throwing snowballs at me trying to get me to fall. It only makes Daniel fall and him halt on throwing them.
"Who taught you how to skate?" Jack asks while I glide past him.
"My neighbor Josh."
I'd keep is neighbor for now they don't need to know the facts of our relationship. I fall down and Daniel glides past me with his arms up in victory. I lay flat for a bit.
"Hey Jack do you skateboard?" I ask.
"Yes I do and I'm pretty good at it."
I blurt out, "Great so can I borrow your it. There must be an inside skate park somewhere around. Pretty please take me."
He looks at Daniel. "Dad?"
"You heard Gr- I mean Ryan" he says.
I put my seat belt on. I don't know how to skate but I'm sure( I mean I hope) after watching someone I'll get the hang of it. Not how one should learn how but it's how I'll learn.
Jack walks over to a group of people. I tag along even though he said not to. They look at me and their conversation goes dead.
Jack clears his throat and introduces me. "Right... this is my little sister Grace. The one you guys might remember from when the fire incident happened."
The tallest one there is smirking at me. He's pale as ghost, wearing a beanie, ripped skinny jeans and a black shirt. He gets unnecessarily close to me. "Didn't know she'd grow up to be so cute. Are you in a relationship back at where you live?" His arm wraps my waist. I stomp on his foot.
"Don't touch me. I really don't like touching other people."
He laughs, "Damn Jack she's just like you."
Jack tells me he's been friends with them since he was seven. There's only five of them. Two girls and three boys excluding him.
One of the girls questions me."How old are you?"
"Seventeen."
"Are you dating anyone?"
"That's not of your business now is it." I defend just as aggressively as she pesters me for information.
"Okay" her hands go up in defense, "we got a sassy little wannabe lawyer over here."
Sassy was correct. Wannabe lawyer was incorrect. Jack doesn't let me stick around for much longer. They start skating and I just stand and watch. Jack knows some pretty cool tricks. I study everything he does and make mental notes. I become uninterested and play with my phone. "You look bored" he says with excitement and sweat surrounding bis forehead.
"I want to skate."
"Why didn't you say so?"
Each one of them stops skating and walks back to me. They put the helmet, elbow, and knee pads on me. I feel like a child and I throw them all off; snatching up Jack's skateboard.
First comes a reckless idiot. I fall on multiple occasions. Then comes a reckless genius who's doing tricks like a professional, grinning like they just conquered the world. I turn my music up louder to block out all the other voices. I don't bother changing the song. I let it play knowing I feel twice while listening to it ice skating.
I do a 50/50 grind on rail. I ace it a couple of times before I go back to doing a hard flip. I hear something about a nose grind and edge myself to do that. I. Do. Not. Succeed. I gain some balance, a lyric makes my eyes tear up and I fall right onto my face. I reach Jack and give him back his skateboard.
"Are you crying?" he asks.
"My face is just sweating. I'm ready to go if you don't mind."
He says bye to his friend we're walking to the exit. He pats my back. I take it as him saying nice work you damn show off.