•Chapter Twenty-One•

Start from the beginning

"Three!"

"Isn't this cool?" Caleb whispers fascinated, to me. "The technology and everything!"

"Two!"

"I guess?" I whisper back. He's always been interested in how things work, but I don't really care at all.

The camera man points to Jack to indicate we are live.

"Good afternoon and welcome to Candor News. The news who seek the truth in every investigation."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I place my cold fingers on my throbbing head, willing it stop putting unnecessary thoughts in my head. It calms but not completely. My chest rises out as I tell myself to remember to breathe. In. Then out.

Right now they are talking to Peter who is lying through his teeth saying we are really close and how he really cares about me and my safety. I roll my eyes.

"Finally, we are going to speak to the princess herself! Beatrice Prior!"

Caleb pats me on the back as if to make my legs do their job and walk over there. Thankfully, they do and I walk into the camera shot and give a shy smile.

"Now, Beatrice." Jack says. "We heard the story from many points of view but yours is the one we are most excited about. Now, can you tell you anything about the attacker's face?"

"No, they were hooded so I didn't see what they looked like." I answer shortly. I don't mean to be rude but I'm not used to these situations.

"Oh, well. What about when you left the castle?" He says, almost disappointed by my last answer.

"Nothing really. A nice boy and his girlfriend gave me a place to stay and then I returned to the castle with their help." I explain. Again he looked slightly disappointed by my answer.

"Do you have any idea who could be after you?" He asks hopefully, as he puts the microphone under my chin.

"Not a clue." I shrug. When was this going to end? Jack's hand clenches around the microphone and he sends me a tight smile?

"What about this bodyguard of yours? How do you feel about him?" Jack asks, for a moment I think he is asking about Tobias. But then I remember the sleezeball.

"He's good." I lie.

"Do you feel safe around him?"

"Yes, of course." I lie again. I can't say anything different to what Peter said or it'll look suspicious. Satisfied with my answer finally, Jack smiles before asking his next question.

"Let's talk about your old bodyguard! What was going on there?"

"What do you mean? He was protecting me, that was his job." I say confused.

"Well, from what I heard he caused your brother terrible injuries. Does that sound like a good protector?" He looks at the camera then back at me. My fists clench in anger.

"Tobias was the best Bodyguard I could ask for. He got angry at Caleb and that's why he lashed out." I say, trying to keep my anger at bay.

"He seems a very suspicious character to me. What if he was working with the enemy?" Jack asks, oblivious to my outraged mood.  

I clench my teeth in anger. "He is not working with the enemy! We were friends before he left and I know he would never do anything to hurt me!"

Jack's eyes widen at my outburst but quickly composes himself and turns back to the camera.