Chapter 2

I slammed my bedroom door shut, for once not having to care about disrupting someone. Mum had taken my sisters out shopping, an offer which I immediately refused, and said she wouldn’t be back till late-ish.  This gave me time to learn my audition without being teased by my eldest sisters, Fizzy and Lottie, for not being able to act. I’m pretty sure the twins would tease me too, if they understood the difference between good and bad acting, but luckily for me they’re at the stage when ‘everything I do is amazing and they love me so much’, so I shouldn’t have to worry about their reactions.

I flung myself on my bed and flipped open the script…

Okay, I thought folding over the last page, maybe it’s not what I thought. Basically, Barbie feels she needs to be with Ken to feel beautiful because he only dates pretty girls so she wears too much makeup. Stupid Guy actually isn’t stupid, he’s sweet. He likes Barbie for her personality. Boring Girl doesn’t want Sweet Guy for herself, she’s just looking out for him because she thinks Barbie is bad news. As a prank, Barbie’s Brother hides her makeup so Barbie has to go to school with no makeup on. Ken dumps her and she finds comfort in Sweet Guy who still thinks she’s beautiful and realises he was there all along. The end.

Not the most thrilling story, but I could see where Stacy shone through. The whole thing is about wanting to be beautiful and realising the true beauty is in you.  I think Stacy is so desperate not to need makeup but fears that she doesn’t have a Sweet Guy to fall back on.

Poor Stacy, Maybe if she wasn’t such a bitch…

I flicked through to page 6 (The page we had to audition with) and read it through again. It was the scene where Dan (a.k.a Sweet Guy) is talking to Kara (a.k.a  Boring Girl) about Millie (a.k.a Barbie).

Dan: (Sighs) I just don’t know what to do.

Kara: (Rubs Dan’s arm) There’s not much you can do. Have you seen her? She’s so stuck up, she would only give you a second glance if you had a car!

Dan: (Defensively) she’s not like that!

Kara: What makes you think that you know her at all? How would you know what she’s really like!

Dan: (Angry) I just do! I do. At least, I think I do…

Kara: Look, Dan, she just won’t go for you. Not because you aren’t the sweetest, kindest person ever, but because she’s too shallow to see all that.

Dan: Stop calling her names! Do you know her any better than I do?

Kara: Well, no-

Dan: (Interrupts) So leave her alone! I don’t see why it matters to you anyway.

Kara: You’re my best friend Dan, of course it matters. I’m only looking out for you.

Dan: (Looks away) If you were really my best friend you would be supportive.

Kara: (Grabs his hand) I’m not going to encourage you so you can get hurt.

Dan: You really think she’d hurt me?

Kara: (Nods)

Dan: (Whispers) you’re wrong.

Well, shit. Not only do I have to remember it, I have to actually act. And sing. Oh, crap, I have to sing and I can’t remember what song she told us to rehearse! I frantically flicked to the cover of the script, breathing a sigh of relief when it had ‘Audition song (Male) – Look After You by The Fray’. I felt happy for the first time since English because I had to audition with one of my favourite songs that I already know, therefore don’t have to practice. Silver linings, eh?