Prologue

"Here you are."

"Ah, thank you." Thorin Oakenshield was finally able to sit down and fill his belly with a hot meal. He had just arrived at the Prancing Pony, looking for a place to get out of the rain, and the chill that the wet weather brought with it. He was just beginning to relax when he noticed a Man eyeing him from afar; he took special notice that this Man didn't look all too friendly either. Thorin looked to the other side of him, and saw another Man staring at him as if he were his next meal.

Thorin looked down and took a few deep breaths, remaining calm. His expression immediately shifted into a glare as he reached to grab his sword. He was about to pull the weapon out of its sheath when an old man in grey robes sat down at his table.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked. Before Thorin could answer, the man stopped the barmaid and told her that he would have the same thing to eat as him. Thorin slightly furrowed his eyebrows. He had heard of this man. He was known as the "Wandering Wizard". "I should introduce myself. My name is Gandalf. Gandalf the Grey." he said.

"I know who you are." Thorin told him.

Gandalf smiled. "Well now, this is a fine chance! What brings Thorin Oakenshield to Bree?" he asked.

Thorin waited a moment before answering. "I received word that my father had been seen wandering the wilds near Dunland. I went looking...found no sign of him."

Gandalf tilted his head and gave him a look of sympathy. "Ah, Thrain."

Thorin raised his eyebrows at the way Gandalf said his father's name. "You're like the others. You think he's dead." he growled.

"Thorin, it's been a long time since anything but rumor was heard of Thrain." the Wizard said.

"He still lives, I am sure of it." Thorin's father had been missing for nearly one hundred years now. Though many tried to convince him to stop searching, Thorin couldn't give up. He couldn't give up that small hope that his father was still out there, alive.

Before Gandalf could say anything more, the barmaid arrived with his food. Thorin slightly narrowed his eyes before daring to ask. "My father came to see you before he went missing. What did you say to him?" Thorin asked.

"I urged him to march upon Erebor, to rally the seven armies of the Dwarves. To destroy the dragon and take back the Lonely Mountain, and I would say the same to you. Take back your homeland."

Thorin narrowed his eyes further, giving the Wizard a knowing look. "This is no chance meeting is it, Gandalf?" he asked.

"No, it is not. The Lonely Mountain troubles me, Thorin. That dragon has sat there long enough, sooner or later, darker minds will turn towards Erebor. I ran into some unsavory characters whilst traveling along the Greenway. They mistook me for a vagabond."

Thorin smirked at this. "I imagine they regretted that."

"One of them was carrying a message." Gandalf took out a piece of parchment and unrolled it onto the table. "It is Black Speech," he explained, "a promise of payment."

"For what?" Thorin asked.

"Your head." Thorin's eyes widened if only a little. "Someone wants you dead." Gandalf warned. "Thorin, you can wait no longer. You are the heir to the Throne of Durin. Unite the armies of the Dwarves, together you have the might and power to retake Erebor. Summon a meeting of the seven Dwarf families, demand they stand by their oath." the Wizard urged.

"The seven armies swore that oath to the one who wields the King's Jewel, the Arkenstone. It is the only thing that will unite them, and in case you have forgotten, that jewel was stolen by Smaug." Thorin argued, but still aware to keep his voice quiet. Gandalf noticed the two Men who were watching the Dwarf leaving the inn before turning back to Thorin.

"What if I were to help you reclaim it?" he asked.

Thorin started at this. "How? The Arkenstone lies half a world away, buried beneath the feet of a fire-breathing dragon."

"Yes, it does. Which is why we're going to need a burglar."

Thorin looked the Wizard straight in the eye. "Really, and where do you suppose we start? I doubt that we'll find someone who's willing to volunteer for such a task." he snorted. Gandalf simply waved him off, and made his proposal.

"I will begin in the Shire, I know of one fellow who may agree to the task; someone whose scent the dragon won't recognize."

Thorin smirked at Gandalf's plan. "A Hobbit? Don't make me laugh. What do Hobbits know of the world outside their little holes? And you can only think of one who may or may not agree to be a burglar? What if he doesn't? What will we do then?" Thorin challenged, eyes narrowed.

"Then we will find someone else." Thorin could have sworn he saw the Wizard's eyes twinkle as he continued. "Someone from a place almost completely unknown to Middle Earth."