Two.

Walking through snow was tedious, I had concluded.

Of course, it was fantastic at first, actually being able to use my legs in the way humans did frequently. However, in the dense coverage of the soft, pale ground, progress was slow and impractical. Flying, as much as humans were strangers to it, worked much more efficiently.

So I flew beneath the protection of the trees, taking in my surroundings with a soft smile. The air was fresh and serene, the day pale and picturesque. I was in love with this world already.

Civilsation, I knew, was going to be few and far between in this part of the world; humans found it hard to sustain life in these conditions. My hair drifted in the wind as I cautiously lifted myself just slightly above the trees.

There was nothing, nothing but a small plume of smoke in the distance. Sighing, I nodded, seeing it as a sign of human existence. At least I had some sense of direction now.

It took another five minutes to reach the far off fire in the distance, it being kilometres away. At the same time, I was finding it hard to maintain any regular speed in amoungst the densly growing trees; they were no small feat to navigate, what with their obtrusive branches and all.

My destination appeared before me all too soon. The source of the plume of smoke was a large woosen house, doused in the same layers of snow that covered everything else in this forrest. It was beautiful; I prayed someone was home.

Pulling the white fox closer to my chest as it sighed, happily surrounded by warmth, I planted my feet firmly back on the frosted ground, pushed my wild hair out of my face, and set off up the few stairs to what I assumed was the front entrance.

The door was large, consisting of two panels of dark timber that gave it a regal appearance. There was a large gold bell attached to the front wall of the house, beckoning visitors to shake its sharp ring into existense.

The sound echoing in my ears, I patiently waited, picking up on the sounds of faint movement from within the house. The fox's ears twitched at the sounds.

The door swung open with vigor all too soon, revealing the face of a boy in his late teenage years, possibly early twenties. He was frowning, eyes drawn to my face. They widened.

It took him a few seconds to be able to get his words out. 'Uh... hi. How can I help you? I mean... hi.'

His voice was deep, and very confused. He seemed to be in a daze.

I smiled hesitantly. 'Hi. Sorry. I'm lost, I was wondering if you could possibly point me in the direction of the nearest town?'

He stared at me. 'Yes. Yeah, I uh- sorry, who are you?'

I bowed my head in greeting, amused by his informal welcoming. 'My name is Anadora. It's nice to meet you.'

《¤》

Twenty minutes later, I was sat on Roman's lounge, reclining happily into its soft texture. I had a mug of tea in one hand, and my fox in the other. He was sleeping happily on my lap, lightly purring in content.

'So,' Roman said hesitantly, his own cup of coffee resting in his pale hands. 'What are you doing out so far from home?'

He was sat next to me, cross legged on the lounge, staring into his swirling coffee intently.

I shrugged, glancing around the room. The fire was stoked and emitting masses of heat into the otherwise cool air. The room was lived in, homely yet classy; the house was stunning.

'Exploring, I guess. I've, uh, been preparing for this trip for my whole life. And now I'm here. I feel... nervous. But grateful.'

He nodded, glancing over at me with a small smile on his face. 'I know the feeling.'

I sighed, stroking my fox lightly, satisfied that he was resting. It meant he trusted me enough to keep him safe. 'Thanks, by the way. For the tea and all. Your house is gorgeous. Do you live here with your parents?'

He just barely flinched, shaking his head. 'No, thank goodness. I live alone. I moved out a few months ago.'

'Do they live around here as well?' I caught his expression. 'Sorry. I don't to mean to pry. I guess I can just be a bit socially awkward sometimes,' I joked, attempting to lighten the suddenly heavy mood. 'I don't get out much.'

To my suprise, Roman chuckled, giving me a warm look. 'It's okay, you're fine. They live a few hours away, where its warmer. They gave me a pretty crappy childhood, so in compensation they bought me a house. Parent logic,' he joked ruefully.

I took his hand in my own, staring at him in what I hoped was a compassionate expression. 'I know how you feel.'

He seemed surprised, glancing down at our connected hands. 'I hope not,' he mumbled, looking up at me. 'No kid deserves a lonely childhood. Not when they're so fragile.'

I nodded. 'I agree.'

With that, we sat in peaceful silence, as we allowed the tranquil atmosphere of the living room to comfort us into gentle relaxation.

The crackling of the fire soothed me as I sighed in content. Earth was a good place; it was beautiful.

Roman broke the silence not a few minutes later, causing me to raise an eyebrow in question. 'Your hair,' he mused, taking a lock of my wind whipped hair into the palm of his free hand. 'It's like pure silver. How... is it a wig?'

I blushed, the light pink contrasting against my pale face. 'Uh...'

Did I lie and say yes, and risk him finding out later, or did I tell the truth and allow him to wonder why I was so inherently strange?

Against my better judgement, I found myself trusting him without a second thought.

'Yeah, it's natural. I have weird genes, I suppose.'

He nodded, seemingly impressed. 'I'll say.' He paused, dropping my hair.

Wanting to change the subject, I shook my head and quickly moved on. 'So. Where's this town you were speaking of before? Is it around here?'

'Yes and no. It's about a fourty minute drive.'

Drive. Right. Humans were slow when it came to transportation.

'Alright then. Let's go now.'

He shot me an incedulous look. 'Do you have any accommodation planned? It's not early in the day; its almost dark.'

Glancing outside the large, insulated windows on the opposing wall, I saw he was correct.

I hesitated. 'Well, no, but-'

'Then don't bother, trust me. It's a busy, freezing town. You're better off staying here for the night.'

I nodded. 'I know you see it that way, but I have to go. I have to get to know the people...'

'Well, you're getting to know me.'

I giggled. 'True. Alright then, when can we next leave?'

He weighed his options. 'If the weather is good tomorrow, then we can do a day trip into town starting tomorrow morning.'

My face brightened. I grinned happily, kissing his cheek as a form of thank you. 'That's perfect!'

Roman sat there wide eyed for a split second before ducking his head, blushing. 'It's no problem, dont worry about it,' he mumbled.

I couldn't wait for the possibilities tomorrow held. It was going to be the start of my mission; the begining of a new earth.