"Can you take me to Grams'?"

"Why can't you just tell me?" she whines. Sally hates to visit grams because of something that happened in the past. Mom never told me exactly what but I am smart enough to never ask her. She may be prying around for information because she cares about me but I will not pretend to care about her problems with Grams. She can just drop me off there at that mental hospital.

"Just give me the keys then. I'll go and visit her myself."

"I can't let you go off alone." She sighs, heading for the kitchen to grab the car keys. I hate doing this to her but I have to be selfish sometimes. For all I know, somebody may end up killing Sally whilst trying to get to me and Grams could help me with that part, telling me what exactly has been going on lately. Ever since I met Olivier, everything in my life has been going horribly wrong. Mum died. I have become even crazier than before, not being able to control my mind as well as I used to be able to.

"You could go shopping-"

"I'm not letting you out of my sight." She snaps, leading me out of the house, a tension setting in the air between us. All I've been doing lately is being a bitch to people I care about. Wait, did I just say that I care about Olivier? Of course I don't! Why would I? He's only the most annoying vampire ever. I find a smirk playing my lips as soon as that thought enters my head and Sally quirks an eyebrow up at me. A pang of guilt and an eye roll later, I'm pretty sure my resolve not to let Sally in on 'anything at all' seems to be going down the drain. I hate myself.

"Don't guilt me into it, I'm caving.." I sigh in defeat as she revs the engine up, a triumphant grin brightening up her face. A fresh wave of pure anger overcomes me for an instant as I recall last evening when her husband Luke had sneaked in on me and groped me like a doll.

"Finally."

"Look, all I know is that I've been going a little off the hooks lately and some-" I mumble, looking around, wishing I could be in the woods instead of here, telling Sally about things I'd rather not,"-other things have been going on ever since the accident." I hesitate, trying to gauge exactly how much information would be too much information for Sally.

"Well, I could fix you up with this therapist friend of mine, it's normal to feel a bit crazy after the death of a parent."

Did she just say what I heard?

"A therapist?" I laugh and she gives me a look that does make me feel truly crazy.

"You do need one to help you cope."

"Not a great idea, trust me. I'm not like you and mom."

"Don't start with that, Vic. I know perfectly well about your lies. It's not cute anymore!" Et tu brute?

"What?" I glare at her. All this while that I'd thought she's changed and actually empathetic towards me?!

"You think I'm lying?"

"I know you are. You've always been so good at that even as a kid you-"

"Stop the car." I breathe, trying to keep the tears and anger in check. I am not in the mood to argue with her. I don't want to tell her about anything.

"I'm taking you to that hospital, it's just a few blocks-"

"Stop the bloody car! Now!" I snap and she screeches the car to a halt in the middle of the road while a green Mustang behind us honks its honks like crazy.

"But-"

"Go to your hospital, I'll be home for dinner." I mumble, getting off the car as softly as a ghost, leaving her look at me with sympathy. If she thinks she can continue being like this, I don't think I'll survive very long. I might just end this misery and- HONK!

"Shut up! I'm moving!" I yell as I head towards the side walk and Sally drives by me as slowly as possible, her eyes burning a hole in my back. I have no clue what she would have done had I told her about Luke. She'd have had me locked up like Grams in some juvie asylum if there is one somewhere on this planet and I'd have been flushed into the system I've had experience with in the past. I'd rather slit my wrists than be in that situation again, especially now with dad on another continent. He's probably the only one except Grams who has told me I'm not who Sally and mom told me I am. He did sometimes, but he never meant it. He knew I knew that he never meant it. He acknowledged that I'm different, unlike the rest of the world who branded me a freak.

Thrusting my hands into my pocket, I look around at the slow traffic and the pleasant weather. I really need to see Grams. Smiling as the first few drops of rain hit my jacket; I take the woollen cap off and keep it inside my pockets. I love it when it rains!

* * *

"Mrs. Edwards." I sow my ID to the receptionist who seems bored as hell, his glass almost falling off his nose and ragged brown hair sticking against his round face. He could be a better looking man if he gets a good haircut and a shave.

"And you are?"

"Victoria Edwards, her granddaughter."

"No appointment?"

"I uh-I need to get an appointment?" I scowl at the notices on the glass cubicle next to the blond, bespectacled receptionist's one where an old woman is taking calls for the hospital. No rule says I need appointments. I really should have brought Sally with me.

"Not really. You have any adults accompanying you?" his glasses shine in the light of the room and I see him look behind me at the others, his grey eyes bored as ever.

"No." I look around, confused. This was never the procedure. What do I do now?

"Then I'm afraid you can't be let in." The blond smiles blankly at me and I shake my head, trying to understand what to do next. I am not going home without seeing Grams today.

"My mom died? I don't have any adults with me, okay?"

"Where's your dad?"

"Look-"

"What's the trouble?" an authoritative female voice chimes in and I snap my head in its direction because I recognise it.

"Dr. Rupert." I grin, as I spot Grams' doctor. Dr. Stephanie Rupert has been Grams' doctor since over twenty years now. I remember her from my days here while as a kid when I visited Grams.

"Victoria Edwards, what a surprise." She smiles at me, a familiar sparkle in her eyes. Fond memories of my childhood make the earlier anger ebb away and get replaced by the fresh need to cry. Even my mom loved Dr. Rupert. She just has this gentle way about her that makes everyone she talks to love her even more.

"I came to see Grams but they won't let me. I'm not accompanied by an adult." I glare at the now alert blond receptionist.

"Well now you are." She nods at the receptionist while sending a warm smile in my direction, intensifying the need to cry.

* * *