Chapter Seven

(Picture of Henry)

I was still quite emotional by the events that happened outside, leaving me with more questions than answers at this point.

I was trying to find where the laughter was coming from indoors, wanting to appear as normal as  I could around these other vampires.

There may be a war going on in my mind, but I couldn't appear too different from the others, because then that makes me suspicious.

I walked up to a room, only recognizing Samuel in the room, surrounded by others.

I cleared my throat and stepped in, not wanting to immediately engage in the conversation.

"Cordelia, right?" a woman asked.

I gave a small nod, stepping forward.

She smiled "We were all wondering when you would come out of that room of yours and join the world"

"I just needed some time to adjust is all" I explained.

"Which is understandable considering her situation" Samuel said, defending me.

The woman stood "Well it is nice to finally meet the girl everyone keeps speaking of. My name is Josephine" she looked at the dark-skinned man next to her "and this is my husband Lionel"

"I'm glad you finally got comfortable" he said, smiling.

"It's nice to meet both of you" I said, softly.

"And of course you remember me" Montgomery said, raising his glass.

I smiled "Of course"

Samuel pat the open spot beside him and I made my way over to him, taking a seat beside him.

"How many other vampires live here?" I asked Samuel.

He set his glass down "Honestly, you've actually met most of the occupants of this household. You saw the cemetery out front, so you know we have lost quite a few. There might be two or three others you haven't properly met yet"

"But the house is so large" I said.

Lionel nodded "Yes, but most coalitions are not extremely large in quantity. That is why there are so many"

"How long has it been since someone new joined?" I asked.

Montgomery laughed "Boy, was that long ago"

Samuel smiled "It was Florence and I, which was actually some time ago"

"No one other than Killian has ever openly left this coalition. Everyone that left was because of death" Lionel explained.

"That is quite unfortunate" I whispered.

"You must be parched" Josephine said "Issac! Can you please bring in another glass!" she called.

"I'm assuming that Issac is another servant?" I asked.

Samuel nodded "If I'm correct than he's the one that has been here the longest"

"He's probably in his twenties now, which means he's been here for almost eight years" Montgomery said, finishing off his drink.

"I met Odette earlier today, she seemed sweet. She explained that the humans choose to be here" I said.

Lionel nodded "Yes, Gabriel has a whole policy on not forcing anyone to be here if they do not want to"

"Definitely different from Killian" I spoke.