The Past Or The Present (Leon x Frey)

Kiel hummed as he went into the inn. He peeked into Leon's room, only to see that the former dragon priest was nowhere to be seen. He wondered if he was with Frey again. Leon and Frey seemed to be spending a lot of time together lately... Kiel was a bit jealous...

He shook his head, and was about to turn away when he saw a paper sitting on Leon's desk. It was written in a foreign language. It was one that Leon had been teaching Kiel to read. Kiel loved reading, and he really wanted to test out how much of the language he really knew. This was the perfect opportunity.

He looked around, making sure no one was there to see him, then sat down and began reading the paper.

When did it begin? The question that is always asked, but is hard to answer. A mystery that makes us think back on the past. Memories of the time spent with that person.

I never thought that I would be asked this question.

I wonder what it would be like if I hadn't met her that day. Perhaps I would still be trapped in that state for the rest of my life, never leaving Leon Karnak. She had tried to save me before she had even met me that day. I hadn't even opened my eyes, yet she chose to save me instead of herself. She wanted me, a person she didn't even know, live instead of herself. What a selfless idiot she is.

When I was little, I always dreamed of flying. To think that my dream would come true... And upon the back of my best friend as she flew us to safety no less. I think that first day might have been the day it began. The day I was saved by a tiny girl with mint pigtails.

Of course, this peaked my interest. A selfless, strong, level-headed girl. How could I tease someone like that?

It was actually, quite easy. Easier than I thought it would be. I soon found myself with a list of amusing people with amusing reactions. This list included the entire town. Doug for example, is noisy. And when I provoke him, he gets noisier and funnier.

However, seeing the same reactions gets a bit boring, which is one of the reasons I enjoy my time with her. She attempts retaliation, and when her attempts fail, her reactions are priceless.

That is not the only reason of course... The way to a man's heart is said to be through his stomach, and her grilled lamp squid has definitely snared me.

One of things I dislike is her selflessness. I love it as much as I hate it. It's an admirable trait, but because of it she never asks for help. The amount of times I've had to go find her and drag her back to the clinic... She shouldn't have to do things alone. I am here, always, and yet she never seems to realize it... She puts her friends first; she throws down her life for others.

She is as wise and strong as she is naive. I have learned this from her trying to save Selphia and Ventuswill and succeeding so many times. I have also learned this from the time she tried to sleep in my bed... That woman... She really likes to test my self control... She needs to be more careful around me before I get myself in trouble... there were so many instances when I so desperately wanted to... Ah, perhaps I shouldn't put my thoughts in writing. At least, not those thoughts.

Recently, I have been questioning myself. My beliefs. My promises. There is a promise I made long ago. A promise that's made me keep my distance from her. Every moment I'm with her, it becomes a promise I wish to break.

Her face when I told her I could never marry her.. I... It wasn't an expression I liked on her. Ever since that day, I've been thinking it over and rethinking it... What should I do?

Back to the topic at hand... When did it begin? I truly believe it was the moment I laid eyes on her. Because ever since then, she was always on my mind. It was that day, but I didn't realize it until recently.

I have to decide what is the priority. My past or the present. My old life or my new one.

Oh, how I wish they didn't conflict.

Kiel set the paper down, frowning. Shouldn't it have been obvious? Why would you choose something from years ago over now? The past is something that will never change. And especially in Leon's case, it wasn't like anything from the past could really come back to haunt him. The people from his past were long gone by now.

Kiel wanted other opinions, so he left the inn and began asking the whole town for advice.

~ ~ ~

"Leon?" Frey asked, looking over at Leon. Currently, they were fishing together at Dragon Lake.

"Yes, love?" Frey's face turned pink at his nonchalant use of that nickname. He had called her it before, but she was still getting used to it.

"What do you think is more important? The past or the present?" she asked. He stiffened.

"Why do you ask?" He looked over at her.

"Kiel was asking everyone. I wanted to know your opinion," she said. He looked at her for a long time, before finally answering.

"...The present."

~~~

Hello my lovelies! I was technically supposed to be working on my Arthur x Frey one, and my Lest x Margret one, and my Lest x Amber one, and my Kiel x Frey(in that order) buuuutttt... I really wanted to write this.

I was planning on putting this on my Fanfiction.net account, but I really liked how it turned out so I put it on here. I'm going to post it on there too.

This is my only story that I've ever posted that will also be on one of my other accounts. If you want to read more one shots by me, then go ahead and check out my account on Fanfiction.net! There is another one shot series on there that's called From Hello's to I Love You's. That's what I'm putting this one in!

Anyway, I'm down advertising myself now. See you next time!