So Close!(Lest x Margaret)

Lest stood in an empty clearing outside of town, practicing his magic. He was currently launching fireballs at Woolies, trying to improve his aim. He shot fire at one of the larger ones, and it screeched, trying to run away. It didn't really have to. The fireball was close enough to burn the wool on its side, but other than that, it wouldn't have caused any damage. He sighed. How could he ever dream of getting Venti back when he couldn't even hit a Wooly with a fireball?

He bit his lip and sighed. He was so close.

"Lest!" A voice exclaimed from behind him just as he had conjured up another fireball. He whirled around in shock, accidentally launching the new fireball at an unsuspecting female elf, who had been smiling and waving at Lest a moment before.

She screamed as it came closer, holding the papers she had in her hand in front of her face in an attempt to block the accidental attack. Her eyes grew wide suddenly, and she was about to pull the papers back down, but it was too late. For the first time since Lest started practicing his aim, the fireball directly hit its target.

The papers fell from her hands and landed on the ground as a pile of ash. She glared at him and he smiled sheepishly.

"Er... Sorry? I hope those weren't important..." She crossed her arms as she scowled at him.

"Oh, no! Not at all. That was just the song I'd been working so hard on for the past week, but it's not a big deal!" she said sarcastically. He sighed, walking closer to her.

"I'm really sorry, Margaret," he said, his head held down in shame. "Is there any way I can make it up to you?"

She was still mad at him for burning her hard work. She had thought the song was really good too! It was meaningful and romantic and she had really wanted to show it to him. She remembered parts of it, but there was no way she'd be able to replicate the whole thing.

She sighed and looked away from Lest's face. If she looked at him much longer, she'd most likely forgive him, and she wanted to stay mad at him for a little while longer.

"Well.... If you can help me make a new song then maybe I'll forgive you," she said. He frowned.

"But I don't know anything about music," he replied.

"Then I guess I can't forgive you," she said, beginning to walk away. He grabbed her wrist to stop her, and she looked back at him over her shoulder.

"I'll try! I'll try to help you!" he said quickly. She bit her lip to stop herself from smiling too widely.

"Alright then." Together, they walked to Margaret's house side by side. Margaret was humming a happy tune to herself, and Lest was watching her with a smile. He was glad that she wasn't too upset. They had spent a lot of time together and he would be sad if an accident had split them apart.

They entered her house and Margaret plopped down on a seat in front of her piano. She looked up to see Lest inspecting the house. He stopped as soon as he noticed her staring at him. He sat down beside her and stared at the piano.

"Okay... What now?" She sighed, glancing over at him, about to lecture him for offering to help without having a real plan, but she stopped when she noticed how close they were. Being so close to him made her heart race.

She blushed. Lest was oblivious for a moment before finally realizing just why it was that his female companion had gone red in the face. His face soon became the same color, if not a darker shade of red.

"U-um... Maybe.. Uh..." He trailed off, trying to diffuse the tension between them.

"How about we take a break from song writing?" Margaret suggested. He was about to mention that they hadn't begun, but he decided against it. It was better to take his mind off of it.

Margaret stood up, as did Lest. They both stood awkwardly for a moment, frantically trying to think of something to distract themselves.

"Are you taller than me?" she asked abruptly. Lest frowned.

"I'm not sure," he said. She put her hand up and attempted to measure their height from without changing the distance between them.

Lest, who was definitely interested in becoming more than friends with the musically gifted girl, swallowed his embarrassment and stepped forward.

"You're never going to be able to tell from that far away," he said. She nodded, also taking a hesitant step closer, until they were a close enough distance for her hand to be touching both of their heads at the same time.

She frowned, her hand hitting the top of his forehead. He was taller than her if only by a little. She had always thought they were the same height, but it seemed she was mistaken.

She tried to step back, but Lest grabbed her arm, not letting her walk away.

"That song... Do you remember it?" he asked.

"Parts of it..." she mumbled, suddenly feeling like she couldn't think straight at all; not when he was standing so close and touching her arm. Her brain was like mush, and she couldn't think of a single line. Not even the melody popped into her head.

"When you remember it, I want you to sing it to me," he said. She nodded, the rosy hue on her cheeks returning as he moved his hand from her arm to grasp her small hand tightly in his.

"Margaret," he whispered, leaning a bit closer. Slowly, her eyes slipped closed, hardly able to stand waiting for this moment for another moment.

Then, the door flew open, and Porcoline let himself in, ruining their moment.

"Meggy, I'm so hungry, but Dylas won't let me eat anything! Please tell me you have some snacks!" he exclaimed, and Margaret and Lest sprang away from each other. He looked at their red faces with raised eyebrows.

"Did I interrupt something?" They sighed.

"No, Porco... Nothing at all," Margaret mumbled sadly, wishing she had locked the door. She had almost kissed Lest, but Porco had to barge in and ruin everything! They were so close!

Lest cleared his throat, still embarrassed.

"Well, I should get going," he said. Margaret nodded with a frown. He placed his hand on her shoulder and whispered in her ear as he walked by.

"Hopefully we can continue this another time," he said with a smile. Margaret stared at his back and shock as he left her house.

She hoped that another time would be soon.

~~~

Hey guys. Sorry I took such a long time to update. I don't know that much about Lest and Meg, so if this wasn't all that good, I'm sorry. Honestly, the next one(Lest x Amber) will probably take even longer because Amber was one of those characters I pretty much ignored throughout the game(sorry Amber fans!) I'll still try my best though!

See you the next time I update, whenever that may be!