**************************************

Location: Panchgani

Why did they have to allot her last period on all 6 days to this class? For one, she used to be totally drained out by the time she would begin the last period of the day and then this happened to be her junior most class and thereby the noisiest and the most demanding one. For them, Nandini was not a teacher, she was Nandu mam, sometimes even Nandu didi - their playmate & confidante. She was the only one they could tell their random and often nonsensical stories to, she was the only one they could demand cakes, chocolates and food from, she was the one who would post their letters to their families and she was the one who helped them with other subjects like maths and science after school.

No matter how tired they left her, she really loved these kids. It was strange how they always understood her moods. She had noticed, how despite being the rowdiest class ever, they maintained pin drop silence whenever Nandini was sad or upset. In a boarding school where children are away from their families, the bond they form with their teachers are much deeper. Nandini went out of her way for her students, especially these ones. Besides teaching them music, which she was appointed for, she often prepared something or the other for them. She helped them with their studies as well as personal problems, often staying back after school to take extra classes. When she was with them, she became one of them, they gave her something to look forward to in an otherwise directionless life. They made her laugh with their antics and warmed her heart with their unconditional love. Away from family and friends and in absence of Manik, they had been the only ones she could claim as hers.

"Nandu mam, cake kahan hai?"

Shit! She had promised them on Saturday that she will bring them cakes. How could she just let it slip away from her mind. She silently cursed Manik for occupying her head 24*7, though she knew, it was exclusively & entirely her fault.

When she remained quiet, they understood that perhaps they would have to return empty stomach to the dormitory.

"But didi you said 'Nandini promise'. Its not good to break promises, you told us."

The little boy 'Chiraag' who had asked Manik if he was Nandini's boyfriend, scolded the other boy "Wo Mam bhul gayi, tu bhi to homework lana bhul gaya tha English class mein. Mam tum kal lana cake woo chocolate and candies wala."

Nandini never went back on her words, and she didn't like it either when others did that to her, like Manik had done, break his promise. But today she had broken her own promise, albeit unintentionally. Feeling extremely embarrassed and yet touched by their kind gesture, she was wondering what to say when she saw a peon standing at the door of the class.

"Nandini madam, aapke liye ek parcel aaya hai."

Parcel? Nandini wondered who could have sent her a parcel. She hadn't received a single parcel in her 6 months at Sanjeevani.

"Thank you bhaiya, aap laye ho yahan?"

"Haan Madam, andar le aaon kya?"

Nandini knodded. The peon carried in two boxes, one big and one small, neatly wrapped and tied with colourful bows.

Nandini was surprised, but more than her, her students were amused. They all quickly huddled around the gift boxes. Red-faced, Nandini got further embarrassed. Firstly, she had forgotten to bring them cakes and now someone had sent her gifts. What should she do, the kids were curious to know what was inside but she wasn't sure. She bent down to look if there was any gift tag on them.

Sure there was 'For the big child', the tag on the small box read. Nandini quickly checked if there was one on the bigger box as well.

'For the small ones'. She unwrapped it and what she saw inside brought a big smile on her face.. Little muffins in every possible colour and with every possible kind of topping, at least a 100 of them. She pulled out a tiny note from inside 'Because your monkeys love cakes'.