8. -- Wings.

It's been a while, but here's a newwwwwww.

//blood and death 'cause I haven't felt well all day//

(What I'm Listening to: Stand By You -- Rachel Platten)

~ Lyla

-----------------

It hurt. More than anything. But she didn't care, because her lover was hurt as well.

Brown eyes looked up at her, glassed over with tears. And she could feel the blood flowing down her back as she shakily placed on the ground what was once connected to her shoulders.

A pair of black, feathery wings.

"M-Maya..." The feathers of Riley's white wings looked almost beautiful with the red smeared throughout them. But it also made Maya sick to look at them. "Your wings... Why..."

"You can borrow them for a bit," Maya smiled, knowing well that these wings would never again be hers.

"Maya --"

"It's okay, Riles. Your wings are broken. You deserve to fly, my love."

Riley stared at them. She knew she could claim them, making them hers forever, and why? Because Maya had given them to her.

Maya, who valued her brunette angel above everything else.

"Thank you."

Blue eyes smiled as Riley silently claimed the wings, causing them to replace her broken and blood-covered ones.

And then --

"No. Maya, no." Brown eyes filled with fear as Riley quickly dropped to her lover's side. "Please, no. You're okay, you have to be okay."

The blonde was still losing blood from where her wings had been torn from her back. The wings she had given to the one she loved.

"I'm sorry, Riles. Just take care of them for me, would you?"

A small smile, and she faded away.

Riley cried. She cried for hours upon hours before leaving and flying away.

With the pitch-black wings the blonde had given to her.