Ghosts

Our team had come across many aberrant nature. But that Surge guy, he was one of the hardest. And to top it all off, we had our asses kicked by some guy in a suit. I definitely didn't want to tell anyone about our failure. But, it was beyond my power. For the last half a day, I had been rendered unconscious. Unable to move, unable to teleport, unable to enjoy a bag of cheetos. My, how the mighty had fallen.

I had awakened inside our healing facility. It wasn't your average ordinary doctor's office. I mean, sure, we were constantly observed. They wore white lab coats, and were one hundred percent no fun. But they were hands off, for the most part. The true doctor wasn't even a doctor. Checkmate had developed these healing chambers. Or pods, I always say they look like pods. They definitely look like pods.

You're submerged in a healing water, which is definitely scientific mumbo jumbo I never bothered to understand. All I knew is that it was keeping me alive, and regenerating whatever tissue I had lost. Awakening in one of those things is terrible. Think having your worst hangover experience, and multiply it by ten. Your head is ringing, you're constantly wet. And when you get out, you know you're definitely going to have old people fingers.

By this time, I didn't mind the after effects as much. But I needed to get out, I needed to check up on everyone. I needed answers, to everything. Walking into the room was Meredith Rousseau, our top lady nurse as I'd like to call her. She always made sure everything was right with us, and helped ease us into our not so human transitions. I suppose you could call her our den mother. She was always so full of positivism. It seemed like nothing cracked her armor.

And she was beautiful. In a "I can beat your ass, and still look good at the same time" type of way. Brunette, older than the rest of us. But it didn't matter to anyone. Rumor has it, she used to be one of the agents. Kicking ass, and taking names. Unfortunately, she decided against field work. Opting for a more close eye on what she at first thought to be weapons. And I guess we're still weapons, at the end of the day. Nothing's changed, really. Which only makes what Sorenson said, even more compelling.

"Good morning, Andrew. Your vitals seem to be improving." Meredith said, while jabbing a few buttons to release me from my stasis. I felt the water draining, I could breathe without the re-breather. I emerged from the tank, still wearing my under armor, thankfully. I quickly placed a hand where Sorenson tased me. I could still feel it, even without the injury shown. I guess it was a phantom pain, even though I never lost a part.  

I found myself wanting to go back out. I needed to know more, it plagued my mind. I've always been one for a good mystery. Especially if it meant I got to use my powers more often. However, it wouldn't be the case. I don't know, call it my spider sense or whatever. But I could feel a colossal amount of unease overcome me. And for good reason too. Stepping into the room was none other than my father.

Alexander Mills, in all his glory. The best suits, the best shoes, long graying hair. And he was always forever calm, like he knew everything would be alright. However, today wasn't one of those days. The look he shot me, I could easily tell I was in trouble. "Barging into a mission without backup, Andrew. It's unbecoming of you." He said, calmly. Which only helped make me even more upset. He had a way at undermining everything I did. It's one of the reasons I never listened.

"I thought I had it. It's not my fault you have us sitting around waiting. We could be doing so much more." I said, quickly responding to my father. He didn't seem phased at all, holding his aged scotch. Meredith continued on like we didn't exist, leaving me and my father in the room. "All you've ever done is whine. I've given you everything, and you can't even appreciate it." My father said, slowly making his way to the other side of the room.