Chapter Nineteen: Better Change Your Facebook Relationship Status

Start from the beginning

            “It’s nice to see you around, Emma,” Henry greeted me. I gave a warm smile.

            “I’m sorry about being so…absent lately,” I said, slightly embarrassed.

            “No need to say sorry, my dear.”

            Even though we didn’t talk as much, Henry seemed like a real nice guy. I really should make an effort to get to know him. Maybe he could explain how he knew my family.

            James and I grabbed a plate of food and took a seat. Ricky sat farthest away from us, viciously tearing at a pancake. It seemed like he wasn’t going to be apologizing any time soon.

            Everyone made small talk as they ate. They discussed weekend plans, school, Thanksgiving, and upcoming country club events. My stomach twisted with worry when I heard about all the parties that the Stephens would be throwing…all parties that I would be attending. It scared me greatly to think that I would have to be making conversation with strangers about the economy and my plans for the future. And I couldn’t even bring myself to consider the horrid things that would happen over Thanksgiving break when relatives would be coming into town. I decided staying silent for the meal was the best option.

            “Thank you so much for breakfast, Michelle,” James said when he’d finished his last bite. “It was delicious.”

            “I’m glad!” she trilled in response. “You’re excused. I’ll clean up.”

            James glanced at me, beckoning me to follow. I quickly finished my strawberry and scampered after him. He twisted down hallway after hallway, into places I hadn’t even ventured into. And to think that I’d begun to know my away around this giant mansion! Boy, was I wrong. We came to stop in a small library, which was filled with hundreds of dusty books. It was dimly lit with an old lamp that sat atop a desk. Everything looked so cozy. I noted to myself that I should come here to catch up on a good book or practice my knitting skills.

            “I want to ask you something,” James said, breaking the silence. He was perched on the desk, looking sexier than ever.

            I slid over to him. I asked, “Could you hold that thought for a second?”

            Quickly, I stretched onto my tiptoes and planted a kiss on his lips. His arms wrapped around my small form, lifting me off the ground and pulling me closer. My arms rested around his neck, my fingers snaking into his hair. The sweet taste of syrup lingered on his plump lips. And just like that, I was in heaven.

            James’ chuckle broke our kiss and I looked up at him, slightly annoyed. He was still holding me against him.

            “What?” I asked.

            “I didn’t think you were the type to be so outgoing,” he laughed, leaning down to kiss my forehead.

            “Well, why else did you bring me to this secluded area?”

            “To ask you something,” he repeated.

            “Spit it out then!” I teased.

            He set me down then, and I landed with a plop. His eyes raked over my body and I was abruptly aware of my outfit; a Led Zeppelin tee and some gingerbread holiday pajama pants. My hair was pulled up into a messy bun. I was probably the un-sexiest thing in the world at the moment.

            “As you know, I think you’re the cutest, most fascinating, beautiful girl in the world-,”

            “On with it!” I grinned.

            “I want you to be my girlfriend, Em,” James said.

            I froze. What had he just said? Girlfriend? Maybe he meant a girl that’s a friend. No, no. He would’ve worded that different. Was James asking to go out with me?

            “C-could you repeat that?” I stuttered.

            “I. Want. To. Be. Your. Boyfriend,” he laughed, pausing to emphasize each word.

            “Yes,” I breathed. “But I must warn you. I’ve never been in a relationship, so I probably suck as a girlfriend.”

            He guffawed loudly, pulling me to him once more. “I’ll take that chance.”

Was that too short? Oh wellz. Hope you enjoyed. DON’T FORGET TO COMMENT!

PS: I'm aware that the date is wrong in this. It's purposely wrong, as I needed to speed up time in the story. p: